Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:53:35 +0800

I agree with Char. Outside of Japan, Hong Kong has by far the most fan
friendly environ here in Asia at least. More or less, fans are knowledgeable
there and even invite their Cantonese seiyuu of Gundam to their cons.

Bangkok has a thriving anime scene last time I was there (around 1996). I
found only one model/hobby shop there (didn't know where to look) that sold
Gundam around that time.

In Metro Manila, well not as fanatical. But the name "Gundam" is known
mainly due to G Gundam's run in 1999. Gundam Wing in 1998 was the only other
show to make a television run here in the Philippines prior to G Gundam.
Basically, people who are young or have young boys for kids (who ask for
parents to buy toys for them) can recognize a Gundam on sight. One
experience I had was following a University parade with one section devoted
to cosplayers. Only two cosplayers had instant recognition from the crowd, a
girl who played Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi is really popular here) and my friend
who cosplayed as a GP-02. Though they didn't know what Gundam show it came
from - the white head, two head spikes and facial guard made people remark
"Gundam" instantly.

Gundam Wing is definitely known to all otakus here in the Philippines. We
have a devoted fandom of girls here who devote websites to Heero et. al.
Casual fans can be found collecting Wing Gundam kits here - but won't touch
MGs or HGs because of higher price and lack of knowledge of any of the
mecha. UC Gundam is mainly known by most people through Battlemaster, Char's
Counterattack and other PSX incarnations because of widespread piracy here
of PSX discs. Even among otakus here, I highly doubt you'll find more than 1
in 10 who have seen the original MSG or other UC incarnations. Even less are
those who collect model kits.

But ultimately, it was G Gundam that made it accessible to the kids and what
put Gundam permanently on the shelves of dept. stores here in Metro Manila.

Fed