Richard Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 20:11:54 +0800

>Why the superior attitude? =)
>I admit I sometimes suffer from the same feelings when I shake my head at
some of the clueless things I've seen Wing fans say in various places, but
who am I to >judge?
>Everyone has the right to be a Gundam fan, and just because you (or I) have
been a fan longer doesn't give us the right to tell other people that they
can't be >Gundam fans.
>Being proactive and helping people learn that Gundam is so much more than
just Wing benefits everybody ... increased popularity in Gundam leads to
more cool >stuff released State-side for us, and new fans can appreciate
Gundam on a whole other level.
>Actually, your attitude is something a lot of longtime anime fans have ...
they feel slighted that this new breed of anime fan is infringing on a
subculture that was >once their sole domain. I say ... so what? In relative
terms, I've only been an anime fan for a short period of time (a little over
2 years, I guess), but appropriate >encouragement from others taught me to
respect it. Calling someone an anime know-nothing helps nobody, whereas
expending the same effort to help make them >"know-somethings" will be much
more beneficial ... understand? =)

Couldn't have said it better, Nicky-boy! Besides, once they learn a about
Gundam A little deeper, that's when they find out if they can stay with it
or not. For me, a real Gundam fan is one who can accept (not necessarily
like) all the various versions of Gundam, see their place in Gundam, and
also realize the real-world reasons for why Gundam is the way it is. It's
like being a cynic and an optimist at the same time! LOL! Anyway, it's
time that will always decide if the new fans stay or not...If they do, then
damn, Gundam is turning into a global phenomenon. If not, then, well, at
least it had its moment in the American sun. Either which way, we should
allow it to be seen and to be enjoyed by people.