Burke Rukes (mechadomain2000@yahoo.com)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:52:06 -0800 (PST)

Some overreactionary (sorry dude, forgot your name)
writes:

> My only hope is that Gundam Wing fans will
> consider the MSG animation "crappy" compared to
> Gundam Wing, and it will be
> taken off the air. Please God...

To which Mark replies:

> Yeah, and why stop there? If only they'd stop
> making Gundam series in
> Japan, too! And no more model kits for all those
> unworthy fans to build!
> In fact, what would be _really_ perfect would be if
> they'd never created
> Gundam in the first place. Now that would be
> sweeeeeet!
>
> Okay, that was a little heavy-handed, but
> really...

Hee-hee! Yeah, but doesn't that offer some sort of
lame-o, Star Trek-inspired time paradoxical problem?
How could any of us exist if Gundam weren't real? And
don't tell me "Burke, Gundam isn't real, it's just a
cartoon," BECAUSE IT IS REAL!!! My friends and family
and even my criminal psychiatrist keep telling me that
it's not real, BUT IT IS!!! If Gundam had never been
created in the first place, our Universe-as-we-know-it
would have been destroyed by the sheer implications of
this disturbance in the space-time continuum!

(Men in brown shirts come in and put straight jacket
on Burke, drag him away kicking and screaming)

IF GUNDAM WERE NEVER INVENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE, WE'D
ALL BE DEAD! DO YOU HEAR ME?! D-E-A-D!!! I'M THE SANE
ONE HERE, ALL OF _YOU_ ARE INSANE!!!

(Men in brown shirts stick Burke with a needle which
knocks him out, then toss him into a rubber-padded
room, lock it up, and throw away the key).

But seriously... First Gundam's broadcast on TV is
really the only way that we can pretty well assure a
steady stream of all the OTHER good Gundam stuff to
the US in the future. While I am concerned that the
"old, crappy, out-of-date" look will turn off some
people, I can understand why Bandai's taking the
course it is... Gundam is, after all, all about
merchandising (although I'm sure if Tomino were here,
he'd argue with this, and I'd have to heartily agree).
This is the path that will assure that more $$$ lands
in Bandai's coffers.

=====
-Burke Rukes
mechadomain2000@yahoo.com

The Mecha Domain - http://mechadomain.gundam.com

"You can't fight City Hall, but you can goddamn sure blow it up!" - George Carlin