garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:14:03 -0800 (PST)

hmmm...

i picked up the yf-19 last year when it was first
released. i have to say it sucks ass. everything was
wrong with it -- flimsy joints, very poor poseability,
weak material (die cast metal next to weak plastic DO
NOT GO TOGETHER DAMMIT), bad proportion
(surprisingly). worst of all was the jet form, where
i had to actually saw off the frigging die-cast metal
tabs on the chest of the battroid form just to have it
transform into jet (do those people at yamato have any
idea how difficult it is to do modelling modifications
on die cast metal???). for the amount of money i
forked over (cost more than an MG fazz), i expected A
LOT BETTER QUALITY toy. fragnabbit. i got half-breed
metal junk, instead. i only like it because i'm a
die-hard macross junkie (er, bad pun). i wrote a
scathing review of the damn thing, actually.

i guess the only selling point was that it was
composed of die-cast metal (which is no big deal
actually). in design and playability, the yf-19
pales in comparison to the all plastic macross 7
valkyries, and the original macross valks. makes me
wonder what all the previews of the yf-19 were
yammering and raving about. what the hell were they
smoking?

there are version 2's of the yf-19 and yf-21 coming
out. mine was certainly version 1. i don't know
what version of yf-19 you have. and i'm not sure what
modifications they made. i'm not holding my breath
for the yf-21 version 1, but i most certainly am
holding my money until the fast pack versions come
out.

the vf-1 is something to look forward to, though.
but with all these version releases...jeezus, they can
call it dedication to quality improvement, but i call
it butt lousy quality control.

-garr

http://gundam.aeug.org/