Nicholas Paufler (echofox@wingzero.net)
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:27:18 -0800

On the oft-visited-of-late subject of character romanizations.

> Rolan Cehack, 17

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Previously, I'd seen this romanized as
both Loran and Lolan. Either of those work, since in one of the episodes
(somewhere between 5 and 10, can't recall offhand), [R/L]o[R/L]an is called
on to play the part of a girl to impress the moon race. In doing so, the "n"
is dropped from his name, and with either Loran or Lolan, you get Lora
(Laura), and Lola, both female names, thus fulfilling the "joke" as it were.

> Sochie Heim, 15
Soshie would have made more sense, IMHO, and I'd venture the kana/kanji
could go either way.

> Mallygan
I don't recall this character from the show, but it looks awfully close to
"Morrigan". Do the characters in the name actually jive with the "a"
selection?

> And here are the Romanized mecha names per Newtype:
>
> Soleil

Only thing interesting in the mecha, is that Dianna ends up as a "Soreil",
and we've got the "Soleil" as her ship (if memory is serving me correctly).
It's been a while since I watched Turn A, and even then it was raw and my
Japanese is pitiful at best.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler
"Hail Eris. All hail Discordia!"