-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:17:50 -0800

This just in from Asahiya USA:

Newtype 100% Collection 38: Turn A Gundam, Volume 1 (2000.6.30, Kadokawa Shoten,
ISBN4-04-853153-0) 96 pages (32 in color) for Y1,800.

I'd heard that there going to be four Newtype 100% Collections for this series,
two Mechanical Editions and two Character Editions, but it looks like it'll only
be two.

Volume 1 covers the background, characters and mecha for the first half of the
series and give brief synopses of Episodes 1 to 27 interspersed with line art
and postage-stamp sized B&W cels.

Interestingly, character and mecha names are given in both kana/kanji and Roman
text. Here's the list of Romanizations according to Newtype, with their given
ages:

Rolan Cehack, 17
Sochie Heim, 15
Dianna Soriel, 19 (I'd prefer "Soleil" -- a girl from the Moon, named for the
Sun)
Kihel Heim, 17
Guin Sard Rhineford, 19
Liry Borjarno, 16
Gavane Goonny
Keith Laijie, 17
Fran Doll, 17
Sid Munzer (I'd've gone with "Syd" in homage to Syd Mead)
Joseph Yaht, 23
Misshe Kune, 18
Phil Ackman, 25
Miran Rex
Teteth Halleh, 23
Cancer Kafka
Muron Muron
Harry Ord, 18
Poe Aijee, 20
Corin Nander
Michael Gern, 35
Yanny Oviess, 28
Ladderum Kune
Mallygan
Will Game, 26
Aims
John
Verlaine Bond
Horace
Audi
Anan
Anise Bell
Zenoa
Midgardo
Diran Heim/Mrs. Heim
Bruno/Jacop

And here are the Romanized mecha names per Newtype:

Turn A Gundam
Sumo
Flat
Kapool
Wad
Wadom
Eagail
Gozzo/Godwin
Borjarnon
Cannon Illefuto
Mobile Rib
Soleil
Willghem
Gallop

All in all, a typical Newtype 100% Collection with one glaring excaption: no
mecha specs! They're described in no more or less detail than the characters.
Maybe this will change in Volume 2 -- I certainly hope so! -- but I wouldn't bet
on it.

-Z-