-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:10:42 -0800

> Dafydd sez,
>
> >"A petty consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds!" -- Oscar Wilde
>
> I thought it was Ralph Waldo Emerson, but maybe that's the point. ;-)

Yeah, you caught me. It's from RWE's Essays, First Series, Self-Reliance and
the actual quote is:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds,
adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Of course, I could be quoting Oscar Wilde misquoting Ralph Waldo Emerson....

> >I have a hard time with that one, considering that "Yuri" or even "Yurie" is
> >valid name in both Japanese and Russian.
>
> Sure, but I think Fa is supposed to be of Chinese descent.

In which case "Yuiry" makes even less sense. "Yu-Ling" maybe...?

We've got some native Chinese speakers on the list, don't we? Does "Yuiry" or
anything like it make any sense in either Mandarin or Cantonese?

How about Fa?

> >The first names are no problem, but "Ashita" seems a better choice -- it's
not
> >only Japanese but means "tomorrow"!
>
> Yeah, but it's probably best not to have a hero with a four-letter word
> embedded in his name. ;-)

I'm reminded of an incident some years ago when Prodigy instituted a bozo filter
that rejected any naughty words in the text of an online message as it was being
typed. One unintended result was that it was impossible to post anything about
Matsushita Electric (parent company of Panasonic) or discuss anything mechanical
that involved screws....

-Z-