-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:17:33 -0800

Works for me. I sign myself "-Z-" and not "Z" because I'm trying to present an
ASCII representation of the Zeta the way I was taught to write it: a Z with a
horizontal line through the diagonal.

> I was going to do the same for "Gundam Double Zeta," but frankly it
> looks terrible spelled out like that, so I'm reverting to "ZZ". :-)

"A petty consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds!" -- Oscar Wilde

> Similarly, I'm spelling out "V Gundam" as "Victory Gundam," since I'm
> already spelling out the pronounciation of other single-letter titles -
> Gundam Wing, Turn A Gundam, Zeta Gundam, et cetera. This applies to the
> Victory 2 Gundam, Victory-Dash Gundam, and so forth.

Which leaves Gundam X as th eonly single letter that doesn't stand for anything.

But, then, neither did the series, eh? (^_^);;

> THE LAUNDRY LIST

> Camille Bidan (Kamiru is standard, but clearly wrong)

I thin "Bidan" is wrong, too. I've always favored "Vidan" -- it works better in
tandem with Rosamia's name, which we'll get to in a moment. It give Camille the
same initials as the Crossbone Vanguard. (^_^);;

> Quattro Vageena (The latest books have adopted this in place of
> "Vagina," thankfully)

I used to use "Virginia" as a phonetically and socially acceptable alternative,
but now I use "Vezina" after Gundam fan and gaming author Marc Alexandre Vezina.

> Emma Sheen
> Fa Yuiry

I have a hard time with that one, considering that "Yuri" or even "Yurie" is a
valid name in both Japanese and Russian. I used to used "Urey" after the Nobel
Prize winning chemist Harold Clayton Urey (1893-1981, Nobel Prize 1934).

"But what really drove me to a fury
They gave the Prize to Harold Urey!
The shocking thing about the matter is
MY heavy hydrogen was HEAVIER than his!"

("Revenge" from the Broadway musical "It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman,"
1966)

> Reccoa Londe

Does this interpretation also extend to "Londe Bell" in CCA? It's given as
"Rondo" on the soundtrack CD, but I've always preferred "London" in both cases.

> Wong Lee (Won Lee is standard, but pretty clearly wrong)

You can argue Romanizations of Chinese names even more than Japanese ones, as
there's no alphabet and three different schools of transliteration -- Wade-Giles
(British interpetation of Mandarin), Pinyin (Russian/Cyrillic interpretation
mapped to Latin) and Yale (a pedagogical system particularly suited to native
English speakers and, incidentally, the most widely used in the Republic of
China in teaching Chinese to same). That being said, I believe that "Li" is
generally considered more accurate than "Lee" in representing the Chinese name.

> Lila Milla Rira

Going by the way it sound to my ears -- and trying to match it with real
names -- I always wrote this as Lyra Myra Lyle.

> Rosamia Badam

Again, matching it to a real name, I used "Vadim" after French film director
Roger Vadim (1928-2000, most famous for AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, 1956, and
BARBARELLA, 1968) -- Rosamia certainly appears to be modeled on Vadim's famous
leading ladies Catherine Deneuve, Brigit Bardot and Jane Fonda. It also works
well with "Vidan" and a name of confusing similarity, a plot point in Zeta
Gundam.

> Haman Karn

"Khan" still works better for me. It's more descriptive and, of course, works
better with her admittedly apochryphal father, "Maharajah"....

> Argama (Even Gundam Mechanics concurs on the ship names!)
> Dogosse Giar
> Jupitris
> Endra

"Argama" I can live with but the others suck woody pickles.

> Judau Ashta
> Leina Ashta

The first names are no problem, but "Ashita" seems a better choice -- it's not
only Japanese but means "tomorrow"! Of course, that might work as badly for it
in Japan as the character name Tommy Tommorrow did for DC Comics over here.

> Elle Vianno (Animedia has it as Viann, but the kana indicate a
> final "o")

I think that the terminal O need not be considered. We have "Edward"
(e-du-wa-a-do) and "Milliard" (mi-ri-a-a-do) as precedents, although the former
can be Romanized as "Eduardo" (and has been in the past). Yeah, I know,
"Milliardo" is used quite a bit, but it's wrong. "Milliard" is a valid
designation for a number -- a thousand million or what Americans call a billion
(which, in Britain, is a million million, which Americans call a trillion) --
and "Milliardo" isn't even a valid word. But I digress.

> Beecha Oleg
> Mondo Agake
> Iino Abbav
> Emary Ounce

I still prefer "Beecher" and "Emily" -- but then I have this thing about
matching real world names.

> Mashymre Cello (I don't know if I can stomach this one)
> Chara Soone (Animedia actually has it as Soon)

"Soon" is actually better if you assume its a Chinese name. The "oo" is sounded
as in "foot" in that case. I note that FOR THE BARREL is transliterating
Lalah's name as "Sung" -- implying that "Sun" also represents something closer
to the Chinese Soon. I seem to recall her name being given as Lalah Sone at one
point.

I also prefer "Ciara" to Chara, but that's just my thing about real world names
again.

> Elpeo Ple (This one's pretty heinous too)

Put a grave accent over the terminal E and it looks a little better. (^_^);;

> Quess Paraya (All three sources agree)

I use "Pariah" only because it's descriptive of the way she's been received by
most Gundam fans. (^_^);;

> Nanai Mingeru (Very poor match for the kana - I may ignore this one)

The first time I saw it this way, I was struck by the similarity to Nazi prison
camp doctor Josef Mingele (1899-1979, medical chief at Auschwitz-Birkenau,
1943).

> Rewloola (Apparently a Hebrew word)

And one I have yet to confirm.... I suspect that, when I do, the Hebrew
spelling will be quite different.

> Shakti Kareen (Usually either Shahkti or Shaakti, but it's an
> actual word)

Yes, it is. Shakti means "power" or "energy" but represents the Female
Principle in Hinduism -- the equivalent of Yin in Buddhism -- and is identified
with the supreme goddess, Devi, and thus refers to feminine creative power.
Appropriate, no?

> Oliver Inoe (I think this should actually be the common Inoue)

Also rendered as "Inoyue" as with U.S. Senator Daniel Inoyue (Democrat, Hawaii).
That may be just a Westernization, though -- one of my Japanese-English
dictionaries is from Inoue.

> Kuffu Salomon (Only two sources for this one)

The former may be "Khufu" -- an Egyptian pharaoh. "Salomon" is better known as
Solomon in the English-speaking world, but is the correct Hebrew spelling.

> Cronicle Asher

I prefer "Chronicle" but only because it's a real word. Have I mentioned my
fondness for real words?

-Z-