Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:11:27 +0800 (SGT)

>Animage Lists Most Important Anime Ever
>Animage Magazine, the oldest and most respected anime magazine in Japan, has

Isn't that Newtype? ^_^

>published a list of what they consider the 100 most important anime of the
>20th century, in terms of historical significance, influence and impact on
>the anime industry. Select entries from the list have been translated and
>posted on the `web.
>
>In order of importance:

Comments follow...

>1. Hakujaden (Tale of the White Serpent), movie, 1958

Hmm, surprising choice.

>2. Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy), TV, 1963

NOT a surprising choice.

>3. Horus, Prince of the Sun, movie, 1968
>4. Kumotochuribu, 1943
>8. Ashita no Joe, TV, 1970
>9. Lupin III, TV, 1971
>10. Gatchaman, TV, 1972
>11. Mazinger Z, TV, 1972

ROKETTO PANCHI! BURESTO FAIA! Revenge of the old-school anime! ^_^

>13. Space Battleship Yamato, TV, 1974
>19. Space Battleship Yamato, movie, 1978
>20. Future Boy Conan, TV, 1978
>22. Aim for the Ace, TV, 1979
>23. Akage no Anne, TV, 1979
>24. Mobile Suit Gundam, TV, 197

Pretty high ranked, I see.

>25. The Ideon: Be Invoked, Movie, 1982
>27. Armored Trooper Votoms, TV, 1983
>28. Galaxy Express 999, movie, 1979
>29. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, movie, 1979
>30. Urusei Yatsura, TV, 1981
>31. SDF Macross, TV, 1982
>35. Daicon Films, (fan produced anime), 1983
>38. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, movie, 1984

This is kinda strange...I like the movie a lot and think it deserves it's
place, but I never thought other people would rank it this high.

>39. Macross: Do You Remember, Love?, movie, 1984
>42. Wings of the Honneamise, movie, 1987
>43. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, movie, 1984
>44. Laputa: Castle in the Sky, movie, 1986
>45. Tonari no Totoro, movie, 1988
>46. Grave of the Fireflies, movie, 1988
>47. Princess Mononoke, movie, 1997
>48. Dr. Slump, TV, 1981
>49. Captain Tsubasa, TV, 1983
>50. Fist of the North Star, TV, 1984
>51. Touch, TV, 1985
>52. Dragonball, TV, 1986
>53. Saint Seiya, TV, 1986
>55. Yu Yu Hakusho, TV, 1992
>56. Yoju Toshi (Wicked City), OVA/movie, 1987
>57. Akira, movie, 1988
>58. Ghost in the Shell, movie, 1995
>60. Gunbuster, OAV, 1988
>61. Patlabor, OAV, 1988
>62. Giant Robo, OAV, 1992

These are kinda low ranked.

>63. Tenchi Muyo, OAV, 1992
>64. Ah! Megami-sama, OAV, 1993
>65. Patlabor 2 movie, 1993
>66. Tokyo Babylon 2, OAV, 1994

Huh? Tokyo Babylon? What gives?

>67. Macross Plus, OAV, 1994
>68. Memories, movie, 1996
>69. Mahou Tsukai Tai, OAV, 1996
>70. Blue Submarine No. 6, OAV, 1998
>71. Sailor Moon, TV, 1992
>72. Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, TV, 1990
>73. Crayon Shin-chan, TV, 1992

CRAYON SHIN-CHAN? What REALLY gives?

>74. Mobile Suit G Gundam, TV, 1994

What gives a lot? ^_^

>76. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, TV, 1995
>77. Kodomo no Omocha, TV, 1996

Kodocha ranked over EVA! Amazing! No, I won't go into paroxysms because I'm
also a big Kodocha fan. ^_^ (Actually, for those of you who actually care,
I'm supposing to be the next fansubber for the series...)

>78. Escaflowne, TV, 1996
>79. Slayers Try, TV, 1997

Yeah, why only one Slayers?

>80. Revolutionary Girl Utena, TV, 1997
>82. Pokemon, TV, 1997

NOOO, how can Pokemon rank over EVA? Sacrilege. ^_^

>83. Cowboy Bebop, TV, 1998
>85. Serial Experiments Lain, TV, 1998
>88. Digimon: The Movie, 2000
>89. Jin-Roh, movie, 2000
>90. Blood: The Last Vampire, movie, 2000
>91. Card Captor Sakura, TV, 1998

Now CCS ranks over EVA. There is no God. ^_^

>93. Neon Genesis Evangelion, TV, 1995
>94. Hunter X Hunter, TV, 1999
>95. One Piece, TV, 1999
>96. Detective Conan, TV, 1996
>97. Love Hina, TV, 2000

WTF? Love Hina?

>98. Sakura Taisen, TV, 2000

Actually this I can understand, since it's the representative of SLGs.

>Close inspection of the list reveals some interesting placements. No OAV
>series placed higher than #60 on the list. Akira ranked 57th. G-Gundam made
>the list while Zeta Gundam did not. Kodomo no Omocha made the list while

Which I think is damn strange.

>Marmalade Boy did not. Jubei nin Pocho (Ninja Scroll) did not make it onto

Yes, but Marmalade Boy doesn't tackle difficult social issues like Kodocha does.

>the list; neither did Bubblegum Crisis, Fushigi Yuugi, Rurouni Kenshin or

I'm surprised about the BGC, but not the rest.

>Rayearth, yet Tokyo Babylon OAV 2, Maho Tsukai Tai and the Sakura Taisen TV
>series did. Doraemon placed #100 while Sazae-chan and Chibi Maruko-chan were
>not included at all. Jungle Taitei (Kimba), Captain Harlock (TV or movie)
>and Gatchaman did not make the list. The Ah! Megami-sama, Evangelion, Utena

Gatchaman did. 11th.

>and Escaflowne movies did not make the list. The only Slayers anime
>acknowledged was the third TV season. Seminal shoujo shows Ribbon no Kishi
>(Princess Knight) and Minky Momo were not included on the list.

Which again, are a bit strange.

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)