James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:28:21 -0800

In a recent Newtype survey, 35 anime creators were asked to name the
best animated works of the 20th century. Yep, best anime of all time.

Here the rundown--

1 Mobile Suit Gundam
2 Yamato
3 Galaxy Express 999
4 Lupin III- The castle of Cagliostro
5 Future Boy Conan
6 Revolutionary Girl Utena (wow this ranked high!)
7 Ashita no Joe-2 (I think this is a boxing anime)
8 Heidi of the Alps
9 Ganba? (something) ...sorry I don't know this one
10 (tie) Triton of the sea(?)...I think I'm reading this right
     and Neon Genesis Evangelion

Each creator (producer, chara designer, etc.) named their top 5
choices from which the above list was created. About 20% of the
entries comprised foreign works, (Fantasia, Roger Rabbit, Fritz the
Cat, Tom & Jerry, Wallace & Gromit to name a few).

A few suprises--
Macross didn't make anyone's list.
Miyazaki's studio Gibli films got few votes. Totoro was absent.
Mononoke and Laputa got one vote each.
I didn't see Wings of Honemeasie (damnit, how do you spell that?)

I am personally surprised to see Gundam ranked the best, over far
technically superior films. It's cool though. I guess there's no
beating story, character, and Giant Robots. ^_^

-James