-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:58:37 -0800

> In a videocd I have bought, it has happened to me to find something strange.
> These are some very short episodes (two or three minutes long) showing the
> history of Federation and Zion and how the OYW begun. They aren't neither
> animated,. they are some pictures (images) with a voice that explains the
> details. Moreover there are some scenes of Gundam Ms 8th Team, but these
> scenes are not present in the OAV at all. We can see a different fighting
> between Shiro's Ball and Aina's purple coloured suit (it was a Zack, wasn't
> it?), a fighting between Earth Federation and Zion's Mobile suits in Kojima
> base, and other sequences ever seen. What I am wondering is: what are these
> short episodes and sequences of 8th Team going under the name of Gunextra
> (at least this is the name I have found them)? Were they promotional videos
> or what?

They're "omake" -- a Japanese term that means "extra" -- and they're just what
the name implies, little "extras" added (usually) to collections, although they
also pop up on some of the early OAVs, which may have been considered
"collections" at the time, since OAVs generally had two or three episodes per
tape. For example, on my Volumes 3, 4 and 5 (Episodes 9-12, 13-16 and 17-20,
respectively) of Nadia, there are three omake: Nautilus' 25 Secrets, Blue
Water's Great Secret and Nadia Enters A Beauty Pageant.

Omake are often animated in the chan or Super Deformed (SD) style and are may be
self-parody or humor as well as information pieces. Gunbuster had little
cartoon tutorials on relativity, the Tannhauser Gate, and so on.

Because of the piecemeal way in which I acquired the 08th MS Team, I didn't get
all of the omake, so I'm really looking forward to getting the series on DVD.
The omake that I have are One Year War Beginning (follows Episode 5), Mobile
Suit Development (follows Episode 6), Char Aznable (follows Episode 8) and
Mobile Suit Development (follows Episode 9).

-Z-