Burke Rukes (mechadomain2000@yahoo.com)
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:03:33 -0800 (PST)

Nick writes,

> Everything I've heard is projecting a March and more
> likely April appearance
> of First Gundam.
> However, how many 7-13 year old boys (i.e. the
> primary Cartoon Network
> target audience) do you know who A) have a DVD
> player and b) have the
> disposable income to afford to drop in excess of
> $200us on a TV show?
> Not many. Most kids are going to be getting the VHS
> version. It's the
> hardcore fans, such as ourselves, who'll be buying
> the DVD's, since we care
> about the extra quality, bilingual language tracks,
> extra features, etc etc.

Those are VERY good points. My comments were basically
trying to point out WHY Bandai is doing what they're
doing... from THEIR point of view. I can understand
the marketing and technical/logistical reasons they're
doing a English-only release in August... but you're
right about kids not being "DVD collectors" like us
older fans, nor would they have the money for
something like that. So the bottom line is... why is
Bandai even bothering? If they're gonna do a
chopped-up English dub on VHS, fine, let'em. But they
should KNOW that most DVD buyers are gonna want
UNEDITED cuts with original Japanese dialogue/English
subs. From that point of view, it just REALLY doesn't
make any sense!

> I can't, on principle alone.
> Sub VHS is dying a miserable death. It never made as
> much money as dub VHS,
> so with the advent of DVD, most companies are
> dropping sub VHS and telling
> sub fans to buy the DVD's.
> It is a _very_ dangerous precedent to be setting to
> have a dub only DVD
> release.

Another good point... they've already got a good thing
going with bilingual/uncut DVDs now... WHY are they
doing this?!

> Pokemon I can understand. Despite its
> merchandising success, it's
> not something that forever changed the face of
> anime. First Gundam did.
> So say they release a dub only DVD and it sells like
> mad. Next time someone
> is planning a DVD release and they notice that the
> lack of a sub track
> didn't affect the sales, they might cut corners,
> saving money in licensing
> and production costs by only releasing a dub track
> there, too. I hate to
> fear monger, but this is _not_ a good thing.
>
> Oops.
> I deleted the quoted part about Bandai's edits, so
> I'll talk about this
> here.
> For the Gundam Wing release, Bandai had it dubbed.
> They then edited the dub
> and redubbed some of the lines as neccesary. Hence,
> the DVD release was
> unedited and had both dub and sub forms.
> First Gundam is being edited to meet "North
> American" standards (ptooey. The
> moral minority can suck it, if you ask me.) during
> the edits to add the so
> called "3d" effects. That video will be given a
> fresh English dub track. So
> we end up with a DVD of content edited such that it
> can air in the afternoon
> of CN's broadcast day, and no Japanese track.
> Think about it. No Japanese Language. Edited
> content.
> For those of you who bought the Gundam Wing DVD's,
> would you have bought
> them if they contained the edited version of the
> video only? (I will
> "destroy" you. The lack of blood. The various ot her
> edits).
> I really, really don't like this idea in the
> slightest.

You're absolutely right. Like I said, my comments were
basically just trying to look at it from Bandai's
point of view. Granted, I'd STILL buy a dub-only
version, if the dub were good, but it would 100%
definitely have to be UNCUT. But I'm also willing to
wait to get EXACTLY what I want.

I think I'll start hunting for a Region 2 DVD setup...
I gotta get those English-subbed, Japanese release
Gundam movies! :)

Oh, and I've added a link to the petition on The Mecha
Domain (and done my other updates today as well ^_^).
I've already signed it. If any of you have Gundam fan
friends who aren't on the GML and don't know what's
going on, tell them and get them to sign the petition!
It's time to be pro-active and fight for what we want!

=====
-Burke Rukes
mechadomain2000@yahoo.com

The Mecha Domain - http://mechadomain.gundam.com

"You can't fight City Hall, but you can goddamn sure blow it up!" - George Carlin