Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:55:02 -0800

Nicholas Paufler wrote:

> >From AnimeOnDVD.com
>
> ---
> Gundam Wing: The Movie - SPECIAL DVD - February
> Gundam MS08th - DVD 1 - July
> Mobile Suit Gundam (TV dub)- DVD 1 - August
> Gundam 0083 - DVD 1 - September
> Gundam 0080 - DVD 1 - October
>
> First Gundam (08:35 PM EST): The upcoming release of the original Gundam TV
> series, being titled "First Gundam", has been confirmed to be dub only on
> DVD.
> ---
>
> Now ... I'm glad that Bandai is calling it "First Gundam" ... I've grown to
> like that title a lot more than Gundam 0079 ... but dub only? I'm sorry but
> what the _fuck_ are they thinking?
> The only thing I can think of is that they don't want people in Japan
> reverse importing the DVD's, but still this is unbelievable and something
> _must_ be done. I certainly won't be buying the DVD's if they're dub
> only....
> Anybody have a Bandai USA contact e-mail? This _needs_ to be treated with
> the same level of seriousness as when the Mononoke Hime DVD wasn't going to
> have the Japanese language track. Bandai has never released any of their DVD
> titles in North America dub-only, so this is an exceedingly bad precedent to
> set, _especially_ with First Gundam.
> GMLers, mount up. We have work to do.

This just popped up on the Animeigo mailing lists as well. The person who
posted the information mentioned in one of the posts there that they'll be
contacting Bandai in order to find out what is going on. I'm sure that if and
when they get a response back they'll throw it out on the board, and if we
haven't seen anything here by then, I'll go ahead and cross-post it.
This is definitely an odd move for Bandai considering how great they usually
are. 5 episode DVDs aren't exactly common in the industry, but Bandai puts alot
of those out (mixing them with 4 episode DVDs, of course, as with Outlaw Star,
but considering many companies mix 4 and 3 episode discs...). And I don't
believe Escaflowne was even available dubbed until Fox ran it.
Someone suggested on the Animeigo list that it was possible that there was a
problem with the distribution rights on the Japanese soundtrack. Either that or
a decision to make it less appealing to R2 buyers who might buy it and ship it
back across the Pacific (I understand its not available in Japan yet? - I guess
Bandai had better be wary of Japanese fandubbers then... ^_~ ).

junior