Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:01:12 +0800

I guess it's my turn to react to garrick. may a higher power bless his
soul. if he has one, LOL!

----- Original Message -----
From: "garrick lee" <goner4sure@yahoo.com>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [gundam] [OT] Macross 7

> --- Leslie_R <trojan@atoka.net> wrote:
> > never watched melrose place (don't think i'm missing
> > anything)
> eh, you can get the gist of the episode by just coming
> across the show, watching for 2 minutes, while channel
> surfing. that should give you an idea of it. :)

the only thing that impresses me about melrose place is how low the body
count is. in real life, all that twisted relational bullcrap would have
resulted in quite a lot of murders, LOL! Oh, and how every body looks
glamorous.

> >and i'm
> > not sure how abuse figures into Guld's relationship,
> > he may have
> > attacked her and scared her alot but it dosn't look
> > like he followed
> > through with it, abuse sounds to me like a more
> > long-term thing...
> ok, abuse may be too harsh a word. it was never
> explicitly said whether or not guld followed through
> with it.

uhm, it doesn't matter if guld followed through. the trauma alone of what
was shown is enough. one doesn't need a pattern of abuse, only the shock of
the moment to have it imprinted.

> > and as for Isamu if he wasn't half as talented as he
> > was as a pilot he
> > probably wouldn't have been given as much slack as
> > he had up to that
> > point and would have had to straighten up and fly
> > right a long time ago,
> > as it was his behavioir is just an example of how
> > spoiled a character
> > can become...
> yes. exactly a spoiled schmuck. i despise childish
> hotshots as main characters.

actually, a childish hotshot can be done correctly -- take a look at Amuro.
but then, amuro grew up. Isamu is intriguing because he seems to be stuck
in bachelor mode; he reminds me of a stereotyped teenager, except that he's
a good pilot (of course, all rules for that go out the window with Gundam
Wing, LOL!). I certainly hope that pilots with his kind of character are a
small minority.

> > the amnesia isn't as far-fetched as some might
> > assume, and i think they
> > were most certainly heroic in the way it turned out,
> > what makes them so
> > is that yes they were both arrogant as well as being
> > a bit sleezy and a
> > whole host of other things but when it finally came
> > down to the wire
> > they were able to push past that and do the right
> > thing despite all
> > else.. maybe you can disregard Guld's self-sacrifice
> > because he shoved a
> > girl and ruined her blouse years before or brush off
> > Isamu charging into
> > the teeth of a space fortress' defenses just because
> > he was a
> > self-centered jerk every other time, but i can't.
> i'm not disregarding their actions of valor, but
> neither can i disregard their flaws. the flaws just
> happen to outweigh the sporadic heroism, to me.

But that may be the point; that even schmucks can have moments of heroic
quality. For me, those are defining moments, when a person who has a
glimmer of heroic values suddenly manifests it -- if only to slide back to
slacker-hood afterwards...

> > > basara is not as well fleshed out as either isamu,
> > > myung or guld, but somehow manages to stand out on
> > his
> > > own at once -- you either love him or hate him
> > after
> > > just 4 episodes, no?
> > to confess, all i know about him is what i got from
> > reading the episodic
> > synopsis since i can't find any Mac7 on video, in
> > particular a scene
> > descirbed from Macross 7 dynamite put me off to this
> > character in which
> > he uses his spirita powers to prevent someone from
> > possibly doing
> > vilence, that person was a police officer who was
> > trying to apprehend
> > several suspects who through Basara's actions were
> > allowed to escape
> > with a stolen VF (this is a fundamental
> > philosophical differance, i was
> > similarly frustrated and infuriated with the
> > Character of Relena
> > Dorlan/Peacecraft in gundam Wing when she started
> > preaching "Total
> > Pacifisim" even to the exclusion of common sense)
> so, what does that have to do with basara being a
> jerk?
> the utopian ideals of total pacifism -- it's very
> unfeasibility -- is what makes it worth preaching and
> worth watching, imo. whether or not i agree with it,
> is another animal entirely. if it wasn't total
> pacifism, like say the macho realist "let's try to be
> nice, but it's ok to bring out the big sticks once in
> a while" pacifism, then what is there to aspire to?
> nothing.

Actually Garrick, I follow a similar idea, but on a more defensive note. I
don't like fighting; heck, I don't even like direct confrontation. BUT,
I'll be damned if I let anyone walk over me on something I really believe
in. Peace is good, but one must be ready to back it up. If that sounds
like a Louis L'Amour cowboy's speech, well, yeah, it is -- and I believe in
it. (errrr, for those who don't know louis l'amour, he's a western cowboy
fiction writer, and quite a good one at that).

> > funny, i have friends who have similar comments
> > about Macross 7
> oi!
> -garr

ajh, as long as The Macross creators say it is macross....well then, it
is.....

oh, and garrick?

<STOMP>