garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 04:05:58 -0800 (PST)

> granted it's truer to Macross than Macross II (which
> was never accepted
> into the actual Macross timeline and is considered
> an alternate
> universe) but what's the problem with Mac+? i
> personally found Macross
> Plus and it's plot tists to be both enjoyable and
> intruiging and Guld
> and Isamu seem more heroic to me than some jerk who
> sings magic songs at
> everyone because he's a pacifist so everyone else
> should be to dammit!
> (imo)
>
> -Les
> --

i like macross plus for its own merits (which,
curiously enough, have nothing WHATSOEVER to do with
the spirit of macross saga in any way) , but think
it's much too overrated.

for my part, i wonder why many people (not just leslie
or echofox) would consider basara a
jerk/dickhead/jackass/ingrate, and yet think that
isamu and guld are cool. argh.

that's the grossest miscarriages of character justice
ever -- it's the other way around, basara is cool,
isamu and guld aren't. isamu is an arrogant hotshot
pilot playboy who screws around with women whenever he
feels like it, and breaks rules and regs whenever he
feels like it and revels in his childish temper.
guld is your not-so-everyday mentally imbalanced
psycho who would abuse a girl out of jealousy or
frustration and carry a grudge from his childhood
years to adulthood. macross plus just stinks SO MUCH
of melrose place (or whatever moronic nighttime soap
shit is propagating the airwaves today).

basara has not sunk to any of the sleazy lows that
either isamu and guld have, yet is able to retain a
unique character of his own. isamu and guld are your
regular everyday tragic characters in tv soaps --
people i have nothing but contempt for. intruiging,
yes. enjoyable, not really. realistic, oh yes.
heroic, hell no. there's nothing heroic whatsoever in
going at each other's throats over a dumbarse
childhood misunderstanding (covered up by amnesia, oh
yeah right!). neither is there anything heroic in the
overdone overwrought tale of coming to terms with
oneself (myung). epic in the telling, but lacking
real substance.

basara is not as well fleshed out as either isamu,
myung or guld, but somehow manages to stand out on his
own at once -- you either love him or hate him after
just 4 episodes, no?

my last beef against macross plus was the overall tone
of adult material that was forcefully interjected --
so much so that it lost all sense of "classy
storytelling" that the original macross had. the
writing and telling of the story strikes me as a
sellout to the type of crowd that insists hikaru and
misa had tons of sex during their wacky courtship
(mostly americans insist this...i've found...*sigh*),
that hikaru and minmei had even more sex on the night
she visited hikaru after quitting with her cousin (i'm
sure everyone remembers that episode) and the crowd
that revels in fanfics of khyron and azonia having
torrid love affairs (again, mostly by american
robotech fans). doh. no offense, guys, but what
the freaking hell is it with americans and sex???
what really bugs me is not the sex, but how it's
handled in a story -- subtly and masterfully
(escaflowne, imo) or horrible skanky b-movie fashion
(macross plus).

fighting over love triangles is just so banal,
besides.

i have little to comment on macross plus plot and
story. it was nice to watch (i did watch it many
years ago, and haven't felt any urge to watch melrose
macross ever again). the whole shebang was a glitzy
sidestory that you could afford to miss out on and
still appreciate macross fully.

-garr