Burke Rukes (mechadomain2000@yahoo.com)
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:48:21 -0800 (PST)

Mark writes:

> "Maganac" is actually borrowed from Tagalog. It's
> based on the word
> "Magaanak," meaning "family."

I'd heard that it was supposed to mean "family," but I
hadn't been able to verify it... I'm surprised it's
from Tagalog, I had assumed it was an Arabic word.
Based on what I've found on online Arabic
dictionaries, there are actual words "magaunac" and
"olifant", though those dictionaries seem to cater
specifically to Arabic-speaking people... I have yet
to find an online Arabic dictionary that will let you
put in a "romanized" Arabic word and give you the
English definition...

> Pretty much every
> Gundam Wing book points
> this out.

Chalk it up to the "Burke can't read Japanese"
syndrome. :)

=====
-Burke "Burkenator" Rukes
mechadomain2000@yahoo.com

"You can't fight City Hall, but you can goddamn sure blow it up!" - George Carlin