Danny Kim (danny@lookfx.com)
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:18:29 -0800

Omotai wrote:

> Please help me out! I need help on a few different subjects. First of all, I
> need to know how to do masking REALLY WELL! I have several parts on my SD
> Sandrock that are not coming out right, and I find it difficult mask in such
> small areas! Can anyone recommend a good way to mask or a good liquid mask
> and how to use it?

I use Testors masking tape. You should take enough time with your
masking tape, cutting and putting it on. I usually cut bunch of small
pieces before I mask. Using several pieces to create the shape. When you
air brush your model, make sure you do thin coat. Make sure it's dry
then paint again if necessary. I'll even mix my paint little thicker so
paint doesn't run. If you use too much paint, paint will smear into edge
of your mask, ruining your outline.
Testors also make liquid mask. Just brush it on around shape you're
trying to paint then paint and wash is afterward. It was great on oil
based paint. But, not for water based. I've seen some liquid mask that
you get to pill it off after you paint. Btu, I forgot who makes them. I
prefer masking tape.

> Secondly, I need to know the thinning ratio for tamiya paint!

I asked same question before. I think people used 5/5 or 7/3 ratio the
most. But, there's no rule, you should try different ratio and find what
you like. I use 7/3 though.

> Thirdly, What ratio of clear yellow to clear orange should I use when
> painting gold?

I never mixed clear paints before. But, you just gave me an idea, I
think I'm gonna paint sword on my HG Gouf. I'll probably use 50/50.

> Fourth, Is superglue a good investment to use instead of filler and putty?

It works great on small gap.

> And Lastly, How do I find a really good airbrush compressor? Anyone? Do I
> really need an airtank on my compressor? I found one that sells for $179
> with moisture filter, and adjustable air pressure.

I'm happy with my $100 Testors AC300 compressor. It's strong enough,
durable, compact, quiet, and most of all cheap!

Danny