-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:35:16 -0800

> Ferdinand Magellan
> Pegasus - the greek myth
>
> I think it is quite obvious how the EFSF have named their battleships -
> Magellan and carriers - Pegasus. Why is it called Salamis? I think it is
> a name of a town and also an island's name but do they have anything to do
> with flying or seafaring? Just a thought - I guess I can forget about the
> origin of Musai......

It's not the island of Salamis that's significant, but the naval battle that was
fought there nearly 2,500 years ago.

The Battle of Salamis was an important Greek naval victory in 480 BC, during the
Persian Wars that halted the advance of Xerxes I, the King of Persia, and ended
the Persian threat to Greek civilization. The battle occurred in a strait near
the island of Salamís, not far from Athens.

The Persians under Xerxes had been advancing with great success through Greece,
and in 480 BC had captured Athens. Both Greek and Persian supplies were running
low, and there was disagreement among the Greeks as to what their next move
should be. Some advocated withdrawal to Corinth but the Athenian general
Themistocles argued that it would be more effective to pursue an aggressive
naval policy and hold their position. When he threatened to leave with the
Athenian navy, the rest of the Greek force agreed to his plan. By some
accounts, Themistocles then sent a secret message to Xerxes, saying that his
Athenian navy was prepared to turn against the rest of the Greeks and that the
Persians had only to attack to secure a victory. Xerxes, perhaps fooled by this
ploy, attacked with his fleet of about 400 ships.

When the Persian navy advanced, the fleet of about 380 Greek ships backed
further into the bay, a tactical maneuver designed to draw the Persians further
in. Crowded in the narrow strait of Salamís, the Persian ships were rammed,
sunk, or boarded by the Greeks for hand-to-hand combat. The battle was a
decisive victory for the outnumbered Greeks, who lost only about 40 ships,
compared to the more than 200 lost by the Persians.

Regarding Musai, I'm afraid i can't help you. It's not a Japanese place name
(the closest match is Musait, in Moldova) nor does it appear as a canonical word
in any of my Japanese-English language references. Given that its always
rendered in katakana, not kanji, I'd say that it's another name invented by
Tomino for the sound of it, like most of his MS names.

-Z-