-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:02:28 -0800

> Actually, the companies that dub/sub anime for its official release
> encourage fansubbing. It gives the show a wider market for its release.

Totally false. That's like saying that Microsoft encourages software piracy
because it gets more people to use their software. Quite the opposite, most
anime distributors, like software distributors, believe that they lose sales
because discounted copies or knockoffs ruin the market. They tend to count
their losses by the number of copies they could've sold, which is a bit of
inflation on their part, because in both cases many people will take a free or
heavily discounted copy of a program they would otherwise have passed over.

> Most of the people who buy the fansubs will buy the legal comercial version
> once its released (unless the American version was horribly butchered).
> It's like free promotion.

Not supported by the evidence. I've recorded many shows off the air, which I'm
allowed to do, because public broadcasr constitutes a license of sorts insofar
as personal use is concerned, but I've rarely if ever gone out and rented or
bought a commercial copy.

There's no such thing as a "free promotion" -- promotional copies are restricted
in number and distribution, clearly marked "not for resale" and are supposed to
be returned or certified as destroyed once the promotion is over. "Sneak
previews" is something else, as you can't take one home with you. Giveaways are
just that, but again they expect you to keep it to yourself, not copy and
distribute it to others.

> There's an article about how commercial anime companies view the role of
> fansubbers. It's at the Tencho Girls' website (fansubbers) so I won't post
> the link.

And there are Web sites by marijuana users explaining how doctors wish they
could use the stuff medicinally, if only it weren't for those pesky archaic
laws. And the North American Man/Boy Association (NAMBLA) will cheerfully
explain to you how Socrates, Caesar and other great men of history engaged in
pederasty both as children and adults, so what could possibly be wrong with it?

A fansub site justifies its actions with its own view of their "role" in the
popularization of anime, but you won't find the same message at any commercial
anime company's site.

> If anyone wants the link e-mail me.
>
> It is illegal to distribute fansubs by international copyright laws, but
> the companies don't care unless the fansubs are of shows that have already
> been released.

No, they care a great deal, but unless they have are losing more money than
they're likely to recoup in court they won't prosecute unless the offender
refuses to cease and desist when so ordered. The average Joe simply isn't worth
the expense, but again why push your luck? If they preceive a threat, they'll
take action, including blanket C&D orders to anyone and everyone who can be
shown to be in violation of their copyright, down to and including the use of
the logo.

> One of my Japanese friends has a fansub of Sabrina the Teenage Witch
> (English dialog with Japanese text). He got it before it was released
> there. So, they're apparently doing this in Japan too.

They're doing it everwhere. That doesn't make it legal, moral, ethical or
right.

-Z-