Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:47:03 -0800

Leslie_R wrote:

> Alienyz wrote:

Think about what you just said. According to what you posted, its basically okay
to copy and distribute, to others, something that is not currently available in
your own country. Following this logic, then why would any companies need to get
rights in the first place? CPM could pick any show that had been released in
Japan and release it over here without worrying about being sued for copyright
violations or other annoying trivialities.
The simple truth is that it flat out doesn't work that way.
Now if a company ends up producing a product and for whatever reason its only
copyrighted in that country, then sure you can go ahead and copy it if you are in
a different country. But international copyright laws pretty much make this a
non-issue.
Legally speaking, there is no difference between a fansub and piracy. Practically
speaking, the only difference is the price (as pirates are usually in it to make
money, whereas fansubbers are usually in it to just to distribute product to fans
who would otherwise be unable to get it).

junior