-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 15:58:55 -0800

> > The earliest mecha series with a love song OP that I can place with any
> > certainty is Super Dimensional Century Orguss (3 July 1983), although
Armored

> Really? I had one OP from Orguss (probably ripped from a VCD or tape
> somewhere), and it doesn't seem like to be a "long song" OP, unless there's
> a second OP...

The OP for Orguss is a song called "Drifting/Sky Hurricane" sung by Casey
Rankine. It has the recurring English lyric "Where are you going? When are you
coming home?" and, while it may not be a "love song" in the whatever sense
you're making of that term, it's most definitely *NOT* an eponymous mecha song.
Granted, the name "Orguss" is repeated by a mechanical-sounding voice three
times before the song begins, but it's never seemed to me to be part. (The ED is
"My Heart Is A Gypsy")

> > Trooper Votoms (1 April 1983) or Genesis Climber Mospeada (2 October 1983)
may
> > also qualify, in which case the earliest postmarked entry is Votoms. My
problem

> Didn't watch Votoms so I don't know about that, as for Mospeada, I only
> watch the Chinese dubs, so I had no idea what OP did they originally had...

The OP for Votoms is untitled -- "Opening Theme" -- but it's a male vocalist
singing an upbeat pop song with no hint of the word "Votoms" anywhere it. (The
ED is "Always You") The OP for Mospeada is a song called "Shared Pain" --
again, maybe not exactly a love song but not an eponymous mecha song. (The ED
is "Dreamy Suite")

> OK, so now we know when the "tradition" is first started - but when it's
> starting to be really popular, as in almost all "mecha" shows start to copy
> that? I know Macross didn't have a "love song" OP, and it aired around
> 1984...

I'd say 1985 was the year that it became the new standard. We got Mobile Z
Gundam (2 March 1985), Super Bestial Machine-God Dancougar (5 April 1985),
Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers (6 July 1985), and Blue Meteor SPT
Layzner (3 October 1985). I don't know about Transformers, but the OP for the
others were "Z - Beyond The Time" (Z Gundam), "Burning Love" (Dancougar) and
"Lonely Way" (SPT Layzner). (We also got the non-mecha show Dirty Pair, with
the infectious pop song "R-R-R-Russian Roulette")

The previous year, by way of contrast, we got Galvion (3 February 1984), Heavy
Metal L.Gaim (4 February 1984), Giant Gorg (5 April 1984), God Mazinger (15
April 1984), Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross (15 April 1984), Panzer
World Galient (5 October 1984) and Star Musketeer Bismarck (7 October 1094). Of
these, only Southern Cross had an OP that didn't mention the name of the mecha
("Star of Deja Vu"), although Eurox's English-heavy "Galient World" came close.
The two best known mecha shows of the year were L.Gaim ("Time for L.Gaim" by
MIO) and Giant Gorg ("Bright Eyes" -- but the name "Gorg" is repeated at the
start of each chorus).

-Z-