-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 09:36:15 -0800

> At 08:02 PM 25/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
> >In the original Gundam, there was no linear seat or all-range monitor -- the
> >pilot had only a half dozen monitors set on on an overhead ring for views
> >outside the cockpit and a targetting viewer on a pantographic arm, much like
> >that used in the Rebel Alliance X-Wing fighters in Star Wars, not the
> >panoramic view in all directions.
>
> The monitors used by the RX-79 (G) seem to be this type.

Not exactly. The monitors are no longer on the overhead ring, but mounted like
windows in front and at forty-five degree angles to either side, but it's not a
panoramic display, which requires a linear seat. The all-range or "All Points
Visibility" (APV) monitor forms a sphere around the linear seat and gives the
illusion of being suspended in space.

Since the Ground Unit doesn't have a Core Fighter, this may have been the first
step toward a panoramic monitor, giving the pilot improved visibility now that
the cockpit wasn't a folded space fighter.

> >I don't recall ever seeing shoulder-mounted cameras pointed out in any
> >illustrations, but that doesn't mean I never saw it, only that I don't recall
> >one way or the other.
>
> Hm, interesting.

It just occurred to me that you could get by with two cameras, one facing
forward and one facing back, if the cameras had wide-angle or "fish-eye" lenses
that could pull in a 270? field of view -- the "peripheral" vision of the two
cameras would overlap such that a computer could resolve the distortion. With
enough computing power, you could get away with 180? fields of view, but that
would be the least you'd need, unless the head constantly shifted side to side,
which it quite obviously doesn't.

> Actually, we were discussing whether or not the panoramic cockpit could be
> used with a Core Fighter cockpit. RX-78-2 definitely didn't have one
> (technology back then.) GP01 doesn't seem to have one, don't remember if
> the ZZ or Victory had one.

Ah, well, then, that's been answered already -- the panoramic monitor and linear
seat is not compatible with a Core Fighter, which folds up to become the core of
an MS, so you're sitting in the fighter's cockpit and using its imaging system,
patched into the sensors of the MS. In hte panoramic system, the cockpit is a
two-meter ball containing the linear seat and APV that can be ejected as an
escape pod.

The MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam is a Core Block System (CBS) like the original RX-78
Gundam, carried to even greater extremes. It's a combination of three separate
fighters -- the Core Fighter, the Core Top and the COre Base -- each of which
has its own cockpit. The canopies of each of the fighters become monitor
screens when the fighters are folded into place. They're three-window jobs with
views similar to that in the RX-79(G).

The LM313V04 Victory Gundam is the last of the CBS Gundams, consisting of the
Core Fighter, the Top Limb and the Bottom Limb. Same story as the ZZ, only here
the cockpits are bubble types, one smooth "toroidal curve" surface, so the
display is an unbroken arc in which all points are equidistant from the pilots
eyes and thus distortion-free -- a semi-panoramic monitor, if you will.

-Z-