-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:13:37 -0800

> > There is absolutely no canonical evidence to support this. Just that one
> > illustration.
>
> Why do you think there's no evidence? During the last episode of Zeta,
> when Haman is trying to get Char to rejoin her, she asked Char to join her
> at her side. I am not sure about you, but when a person ask another person
> of the other sex to join him/her at her side, he/she is clearly suggesting
> that he/she want them to be together. Even during the episode where that
> snapshot appears in Zeta, Haman commented that Camille is just Char, trying
> to "get into her head" without her permission. It clearly suggest there's
> something between them (that they don't just know each other). Please note
> that the "snapshot" we're talking about is the image Camille saw during the
> NT mental link between Camille and Haman near the end of Zeta, probably not
> the one you're talking about in Newtype 100% collection...

All of this is speculation on your part, inferring relationships based a single
circumstantial and non-contextual cue that can be interpreted any number of
ways.

Hamaan's offer to Char, for example, is no indication of a past relationship.
It is, prima facie, an offer of a new and future relationship, contingent upon
Char's acceptance of her terms at that point in time. Didn't Kycilia make a
similar intimation at one point?

The snapshot or memory -- I don't recall this scene in Z, but I'll take your
word for it that this is indeed where the image originated -- shows Char and
Hamaan on holiday. That's all it shows. Char would've been one of Hamaan's
retainers, so the relationship is much more likely to have been platonic,
although Hamaan may've had a crush on "Uncle" Char that gave the moment more
meaning for her than for him.

Char left Axis and returned to the Earth Sphere at Quattro on 21 September 0084,
under cover of a reconnaisance mission to determine if the time was right for
Axis to move. The Zeon refugees arrived at Axis on 28 March 0081, so this image
must come from some time in between -- there couldn't have been such a holiday
on a ship. Furthermore, Hamaan didn't become Regent until 11 August 0083, two
days after her father died. That leaves a window of about thirteen months
during which this incident is likely to have occurred. If *I* were to
speculate, I'd guess that it was either 28 March 0084 -- the first anniversary
of their arrival at Axis -- or 15 August 0083 or 0084 -- the annual Zeon
Foundation Day celebration -- both of which were likely to be holidays for the
Zeon refugees at Axis.

In any case, Hamaan would've been at most 16 years old, to Char's official 26
and actual 24 -- half again Hamaan's age. Any intimation of a romance between
Char and Hamaan would've been scandalous and suicidal -- the power base on Axis
would've come down on Char the way the British aristocracy came down on the Earl
of Essex when he similarly compromised young Queen Elizabeth. Worse, I think,
because Char was a commoner and a family retainer -- it would not be highly
presumptuous for him to "court" Hamaan, even in jest.

I can believe that Char would try to get close to Hamaan, try to "get into her
head" and try to influence her as much as possible, but he would certainly steer
clear of anything that would compromise Hamaan or himself under those
circumstances. Again, young Hamaan might make more of their relationship than
it actually was, but that's *her* view, not what actually happened.

But that's just *my* speculation. There's no more support for this
interpretation than for the other. Both are houses of cards, because neither
has any substantive foundation.

Compare this with another image from Z, that of Camille's father Franklin's
mistress. Not only does Camille flat out tell his father that he knows about
his mistress, but the image flashes up as Franklin is dying and he calls out the
name "Margarete!" This is canonical evidence. This is supportive context. The
image of Hamaan and Char is just that, an unsupported image that is open to a
number of possible interpretions.

-Z-