Edmund Chiu (edf91@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:31:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricky Lai" <x-lai@uchicago.edu>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 11:42 PM
Subject: [gundam] Kou Uraiki [was: Gundam 0083]

> Spelling is no big deal, as long as the meaning went across. I'll give
ample
> warning next time.

    I try to be good, but since it's e-mails about Gundam stuff, where most
of the spell checker would turn up too many wrong, I cannot really use spell
checker and stuff...

> I agree that 0080 is one of the richest stories among all Gundam
installments.
> As for 0083, it's a pseudo-Hollywood style action flick. Lots of
adrenaline and
> hardcore mecha action, not to mention superb attention to realism.

    I think you are "superficial" in the sense that you actually believe the
attention to details in 0083 is actually a sign to say 0083 has decent story
and is realistic. Out of all the Gundam fans I talk to, I get the impression
while they are "impress" with the action aspect of 0083, its story and its
realism isn't what I call top notch, especially among other Gundam series.
Given the different budget for OVA, movies and TV series, I tend to avoid
looking for little "visual details" simply because OVA and movies can afford
to do them, given back in the "old days", not many people would notice it,
unlike now, which is pretty much standard stuff by now...

> The complexity in 0083 comes from the Stardust Operation, which does
involve a
> few things happening at the same time. It is, after all, not a suspense
movie
> of thriller.

    I don't see it from being different from some of the action flick we
have seen from Hollywood (The Matrix not included, simply because the story
is so complex, it could be consider a drama or science fiction more than
just an action flim). Let's just say the stuff the put on 0083 is not really
"in sync" with the other main UC timeline show, except for maybe ZZ, which
has it share of "out of element" stuff. As you have seen in the GML
discussion in the past, many Gundam veterans don't think 0083 is a good
example of good story or realism (don't tell me that the Fed suddenly decide
to build a MA is a logical decision, given the Feds hasn't build one
throughout the various series. Titans have them because they are not the
regular Feds).

> Sorry, haven't checked that out yet.

    You haven't seen the original Gundam movies? yet you have seen Zeta?
weird...

> Exactly. Then the Fed is not in the position to get their hands into
> spacenoid's business.

    Tell them that...

> Char definitely went out to take revenge on Amuro in CCA, for killing the
woman
> who could become his mother-figure. As much as Lalai, his lover at that
time,
> tried to hold him back from the frontlines, he clearly indicated that he
will
> not give up on piloting until Amuro went down. Once he has settled scores
with
> Amuro, he would do whatever Lalai wishes him to. Therefore, personal
revenge is

    I think you misunderstood Char - he hated Amuro at first because Amuro
is "interrupting" his plan no getting revenage on the Zabis, and since he
cannot defeat him himself, he has to rely on Lalah. I wouldn't really call
Lalah his lover because while Lalah is grateful that Char save her from her
previous "life" (I heard she's really poor), she never really love him in
the same way she love Amuro. It's this that really make Char mad - because
he does so much for Lalah, yet she really love somebody else. As for "giving
up" piloting - I think he just wanted to get his revenage, then live quietly
somewhere, with Lalah at his side hopefully, of course.

> part of his secret agenda below his cause for spacenoid independence. In
0087,
> he obviously tried to do the right thing -- and I agree with most of his
actions
> -- but it is evident that he was fast getting sick of his position towards
the
> end of the saga, especially after being interrogated by two more powerful
and

    Actually, I think he just state his opinion - why Haman and Scricco
shouldn't win and the way they do things are wrong. He's kinda getting sick
of not getting things done or across to the Feds, but he still has hope on
people like NT, who seems delicated to the cause of other NTs.

> radical NTs. I read that it is for that reason he chose to disappear
after
> Gryps War, possibly to work on his counterattack. As for his
relationship with

    Probably not... I am a bit rusty on the exact timeline, since it has
been a while since I last played Zeta Gundam for PSX, but he seems to think
that he isn't needed in the fight with Haman...

> Mineva, I never understood why he harbors such caring feelings for the
only
> surviving member of the family he so desperately wanted to -- and
eventually did

    I think he understand that she's completely innocence - she doesn't even
exist when his father was killed. He visited her when she was still a baby,
and he see her as an innocent bystander. He's really mad at Haman because
Mineva shouldn't be involved with the whole yet, yet Haman drag her into
war. I think you put too little faith in Char - he isn't really that bad of
a person. Even Sayla commented that her brother isn't always like that and
that he seems to be a pretty good brother.

> -- wipe out. I am very interested in learning when he managed to smuggle
Mineva
> from beneath Hamaan's nose.

    You have to remember that many old Zion crew still consider Char as part
of their "family", so it should be easy for him to do. Besides, even Mineva
herself like Char and trust him...

> Stylish and royal like Hamaan? =)

    You have to have an "ugly" villain somewhere...

> Unfortunately, the common person is so intoxicated by the Fed's corruption
that
> they could not voice their true wishes. Why do people continue ignoring
the
> fact that aristocracy is the best solution? The mass is incapable of
deciding
> their own fate, which is why mankind needs capable and just leaders to
fish them
> out of their wretchedness. It's time that people start to rethink the
common
> principle for Amuro et al.

    I think you really miss my point - my point is that until the people
decided it's time for a change, it shouldn't be up to people like Haman or
Scirocco to decide the faith of the people, at least that's what Amuro and
Char believed...

> Hamaan any day!

    Too bad we never know why Haman became the way she is - it seems that
she isn't always like that, like when Char is dating her. I wonder what
happened?

> Char was able to execute his plan in such little time because of the Fed's
> idiocy. If the Fed was smart and clean enough, they could either foil
Char's
> plans or but themselves enough time, instead of relying on Londo Bell --
the
> only effective gear within the entire structure.

    That's what I am saying - by the time they know, there's very little
they can do...

> Ha ha, genetic mutation -- this sounds like the X-Men theme. If they
think
> their existence makes too minute a difference, then they have no reason to
stand
> in the way of movements that acknowledge their value. It is simply
senseless to
> support a regime that denies them. Are NTs supposedly to be masochistic?

    You seems to forget that the general public has a fear of Newtypes, just
like in the X-Men world where the people are afraid of mutants. They fear
that NTs might one day "take over" the world and the "oldtypes" would be
second class citizens. Didn't you watch Char's explanation on why the Feds
decide to gas a colony - they are afraid that NTs (or spacenoids, in a
sense) are going to take over and took their powers they have now, so the
"only" way to stay in power is to kill them off or suppress them before they
can take over.

> With his GP-03D, Kou is the best personel to stop the colony drop. He
might be
> a little condescending in thinking that Gato cannot be stopped without
him, but
> the truth of the matter is, the Fed needs every bit of might to stop the
colony
> from dropping onto Earth.

    Did you even read what I wrote? Kou didn't know about GP03D until the
colony jack happen - I am talking about when Nina and Kou talks right after
the duel. Hell, he didn't even know about a colony drop. He just know Gato
is up to something, and that he's the only one that can stop him. Judging
from how emotional he is on the issue, I would say it's more personal than
his professional duty...

> Perhaps he is working on it already. After all, he cannot ask Bandai to
keep on
> remaking them without giving them a break of a few years.

    Yeah, right. Like I said, I have no high hopes on it...

> Well, I was certain that you'd be in N. America from your AT&T server, and
so I
> thought I would have had better luck with Canada, the most popular choice
among
> HK emigrants.

    True, since it's much easier to move to Canada then it's to the US...