Edmund Chiu (edf91@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:29:51 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricky Lai" <x-lai@uchicago.edu>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 1:55 AM
Subject: [gundam] Kou Uraiki [was: Gundam 0083]

> No kidding, such an even more kick-ass Qubeley!

    Too bad it doesn't get much screen time...

> Too complicated, too complicated...

    But that's what make "main character" special in most anime - because
they're complicated, not just a "one dimension" guy like Gato...

> Well, at least you spelled it right.

    Really? It was just a wild guess...

> > More like prejustice, but since my spelling sucks, racism is easier
> > spell ^_^
>
> I sensed the coldness of the ravages of war, most prominent in scenes of
> aftermath like the Torrington Base after Gato's raid and in the sea of
Solomon.

    Personally, I like the ending of 0080 better - it's sad because other
than Al, nobody knows that Bernie really dies for nothing. Besides, other
than that scene, do you really think the show is showing how "bad" war is?

> 0083 is a noticeable move towards Western style of production, with full
> orchestration and darker tones common among Hollywood productions. And
then, of
> course, there is plenty of action.

    I know, and that's what I said 0083 is - a "dummy" version of Gundam
that's easy to swallow and follow, but for more in depth stuff, go somewhere
else...

> The "stopping issue" was taken from ZZ. It's just that the two series are
too
> similar, I tend to take them as a single unit. 0083, being an OVA
production as

    The animation is similar, but the story style is very different...

> you said, enjoyed much better animations because of a more generous
budget.

    Like I said, I really, really wish they would remake Zeta...

> But both Scirocco and Hamaan are NTs who are totally for spacenoids.
Camille

    Where do you get that? That's what they say, but all they want is to
"rule" the world. If Haman is really just for NT, wouldn't Char stay at
Axis?

> thinks that Scirocco just mitiates life and that all manipulative players
should
> be disposed of. However, both AEUG and the Fed are political
organizations

    Scirocco, like Haman, just want to control the world. Of course, he
wanted someone else to be the "official ruler" with him in the background...

> which mitigate life and play manipulative games. If he is to be thorough
with
> his so-called mission, the Earth Circle will be reduced to anarchy, since
no
> government is going to respect life as much as he does and no government
can be
> free of politics, which is a manipulative game by nature. Juudo thinks
that

    See above. The war isn't about changing the structure of government -
more about what direction it should be going...

> Hamaan should be stopped, because she is sacrificing lives to accomplish
her
> goal. In their last dialogue, Juudo questioned Hamaan why she would not
rather
> apply her resources on constructive purposes. I'd say Hamaan gave the
best
> answer by laughing at the thought. The Fed is beyond redemption in its

    That's because she doesn't believe man can "think" like that - they
think people need to be "lead" by powerful people like herself, since they
will just kill eachother if she let them alone.

> corruption, and there simply is no reason why it should continue to exist.

    There isn't - it's just that "corrupt" government is better than the
alternative...

> Just as Zeon is a revolution in itself. Granted that the Zabi's weren't
kind
> people, but then Hamaan did wish to erradicate the Fed such that her more
> effective government could save a dying planet along with its population.
As

    You really "buy" that stuff she said? As I have said before, she
basically want to "run" the government by herself, since she has such low
opinion of them. Judo just think that these "lowly people" deserve another
chance...

> for Kou, his objective seems to have shifted to stopping the colony
towards the
> end. Once that failed and Gato comes to challenge, then did he wish to
settle
> personal scores.

    I just see it differently - the main reason Kou wanted to stop the
colony so badly is because Gato is the one who made it possible - if Kou has
stopped Gato in stealing GP02A or stop him from being in Solomon, the
colony jack wouldn't be possible, or would be much easier to stop...

> I wish that they would just re-release ZZ with a new storyline.

    I prefer to see a remake of Zeta first, simply because the old one is
really outdated in terms of animation...

> Canada?

    You are getting close...