Graham Belmont (gbelmont@hotmail.com)
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:05:01 -0600

>Graham Belmont wrote:
>
> > A little mistyping on my part. I was trying to say that it was very
>unlikely
> > that he was a mobile suit pilot (unless he worked his way through the
>ranks
> > with lightning speed), but that he may have been an aircraft pilot,
>instead.
> >
>which does not nessicarily make him qualified to just jump in a Gundam
>and go tooling around in it

You're right, it doesn't. But I never said that he was an MS pilot, just a
regular old airplane pilot. The similarities I noted between the two -
placement of FCS, throttle, rudder peddals, HUD - merely to show that a
regular pilots training, with some adjusting, could transfer into piloting a
MS as well. Granted, there are more differences than similarities, but
control placement alone would be enough to make any pilot feel at home.

See what I'm trying to get at?

> > Also, as we all know, Synapus isn't a pilot anymore. If you advance high
> > enough in rank you can no longer be one (how many generals or admirals
>do
> > you know of that still fly sorties? How many captains do you see
>fighting in
> > GM's?), you end up with executive positions like the very ones you've
>just
> > described before taking command.
>
>are you sure you know what i was desribing?

Well, seeing as how there are a couple versions of this discussion floating
around, both of which I just happen to be involved in (unfortunately), I'm
pretty sure I did when I posted that response, but now I'm totally lost.

> > Well, look at it this way: if you were to appoint someone to take
>command of
> > of a warship, would you want someone who has been out on the battlefield
>and
> > has a knack for strategic thinking, or someone who has spent most of
>their
> > career sitting at a desk? I don't know about you, but I'd want an
>ex-pilot,
> > not a paper-pusher (altho' the war against paper cuts is quite the fight
>in
> > and of itself :P ).
>
>um, dude? the Executive Officer or XO on a ship is effectively the
>second in command of a Warship in most cases, many of Them got there
>from being asorted bridge crew though some may have worked other crew
>jobs like gunnery crews or the like, the XO dosn't sit at a desk back at
>base while his captain is taking the ship out for a spin, he's standing
>ther by his side relaying the captain's orders to teh parts of the shiip
>that need ot hear them and basically making sure that whatever the
>captai wants the captain gets, from his cup of coffee to that missile
>spread amidships of the enemy cruiser
> >
> > -G
> >

>-Les

Ok, I see what you're getting at here. Was that in respones to me saying
something about ending up with executive positions later on in ones career,
or the paper pusher remark? I can't keep track of all these discussions'
little tangents anymore, it's got me fried.

If it were in response to the latter, let me quote -Z-:
"
The Air Force policy that commanders must be flight qualified goes more to
the point that they must be prepared to personally lead their command into
combat if necessary. There's also the doctrine of "laedership by example"
-- the commander must be able to demonstrate the ability to perform any duty
to which he assigns his subordinates. The Air Force motto is "To Fly And
Fight" -- in that order.
"

Now, as Edward and I have just agreed on, it's not the Air Force that
controls space. I figure it's more or less some Navy, Air Force hybrid (Navy
Force?). My point here is that I'd rather have someone order me into combat
with the assurance that he, himself, could do it. See what I mean?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm afraid I'm going to have to hop out of this
thread. Take it as victory by default or whatever, but I just narrowly
avoided a flamewar with one person, and I wanna quit before that happens
again. Ya dig?

-G