Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:27:39 -0800

Freedom045@aol.com wrote:

> << >Granted that Kou may not not have started off as the BEST pilot around,
> >nevertheless he showed tremendous improvements as the story progressed.
> >Although his piloting of a top-of-the-line unit invariably contributes
> >to his development as a pilot, there is much credit on his part for
> >commanding GP-01FB well, as the ace-pilot Captain South Burning
> >commended. >>
>
> Anyone could have been a great pilot with the GP-01FB and the GP-03. kou
> didn't do anything special except get shot down. Look at how Cima just kicked
> his ass, and she was flying an old Gelgoog Mariner. Kou got his ass handed to
> him.

The reason that happened, though, is that Kou was an idiot (and in all fairness,
Nina was being stupid as well by not properly programming the GP-01 with the
information Kou was trying to wheedle out of her) and took the GP-01 before it
had been configured for use in space. Amuro may have been able to pull off a
draw under those circumstances, but anyone else would have been hard pressed,
IMHO. Kou was an idiot under those circumstances, but his idiocy in that case
had nothing to do with his piloting skills. The only way to properly evaluate
his piloting skills in this instance would have been if he had taken a GM out as
he was supposed to.

> As for Burning's commendation, what is that measured against? no one else
> flew the GP-01 except Kou, and Nina's analysis is suspect and biased because
> she is obviously going to slant the data in favor of her impotent boyfriend.

Nina's analysis came before there was anything going on between the two of them.
He had apparently started to impress her with his actions in the first two
episodes, but the majority of her 'sympathy' seems to develop after she already
has the results, and is trying to relay them to him.

> <<Contrast the pilots in 0083 with those in 0087/0088, and it's not hard to
> see the
> former simply kick ass! At least Kou is a soldier, who behaves like a
> warrior shold on the battlefield, unlike those clowns in 0087/0088. >>
>
> Now you are saying that Kou could kick Camille's ass? Dem's fightin' words!
> Kou whines and cries on the battlefield, he reacts with anger and rage,
> which results in the near destruction of the GP-01, the loss of the GP-01Fb
> and the Dendrobium. He also NEVER defeated Gato in combat.

I haven't seen Zeta, and so I won't comment on it here. And considering that
Camille is a newtype, and Kou isn't, I'm fairly certain I have a pretty good idea
who would win a duel between the two of them. But as far as Gato goes, I think
it would be fairly shocking if Kou did manage to defeat Gato. While Kou seems to
have an incredible amount of raw talent, he's got little experience on the
battlefield. Let's be honest here. If Kou actually had managed to defeat Gato,
you'd probably be striking that as another mark against the series.

> Also, to remind you, Kou ended up losing the Full Vernian against Gato.,
> Despite the fact that the GP-01Fb should have easily outclassed the GP-02 in
> melee combat.

Experience counts for a lot. Gato had it in spades. Kou had next to none. The
battle doesn't always go to the one with the best piece of technology. The
battle goes to the one who is best able to combine what his technology can do and
what he can do with his environment. Kou had a lot of raw talent, and given a
few months of regular combat experience, he might have been able to beat Gato.
But with the limited time he's had, he's lucky to do as well as he does.

junior