Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:06:21 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:11:50 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> >What other things can be used to distinguish bootleg kits from original
> >Bandai kits?
>
> Dunno... Bendi kits used to look identical to Bandai kits, the only
> tell-tale sign was the diamond shaped Ben Di logo which was different
> from Bandai's square trademark. It still looked really similar and
> people can mistake it for a Bandai kit if they are not careful.

actually, between Bendi and Bandai, without looking at the logo you'll
notice the inferior quality of the box art. they look the same but if
you'll notice the colors on a Bendi are bad, you'll know its a fake the
minute you saw it. unless you've never seen a Gundam box yet in your entire
life, you will easily see the inferior quality of the box

now what I'm worried about is if there are other bootlegs, especially those
that will brand themselves as Bandai too.

> I've seen counterfeit trading cards (Carddass Masters) that looked like
> the real thing, they copied the Bandai trademark as well, you literally
> cannot tell until you open the pack to find all the mistakes printed on
> their cards. Given how blatant bootlegging has become, it's becoming
> harder and harder to tell a fake from the real thing.

it's partly the fault of the manufacturers. bootleg comes from 3rd world
countries or countries catering to third world, like Taiwan and China. like
Pokemon cards are so expensive, and you don't know why (it is a piece of
paper). with Gundam kits you'd understand because if you put the bootleg
with the real thing side by side, you can't miss the difference in quality.
then again, there's the resin recasts

> They feel MG kits are overengineered to a point where people with no
skills
> can make it look good even without painting. These people grew up with
> the old kits (before snap-fit and System Injection) so they are more used
> to working extra hard on kits to get the look they want.

I've seen the HGUC kits that really requires no painting. actually I've
just seen the box, but is says there you just snap together, no painting
required because it has been colored to final details, no painting required
at all (this is the bluish HGUC box). I think what Bandai is doing is
appealing to a wider audience. this will entice a lot more people to take
up or at least try modelling. I mean I have tried aircraft models and glue
and it sucked. I like snap-on better.

right now I like the old 1/144 kits because it gives me a challenge in
painting, and they're quite cheap too if you can find the ones you want.
but of course it depends on what you want to do with your kits, MGs offer
better quality and detail and its great for beginners like me (heheh, I've
been a beginner for two years now, heheheh)