Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:04:58 -0600

Echo|Fox wrote:

> Shrug.
> I don't hate it, but there are a few more than annoying things about it. The
> tacked on love subplot was horribly handled,

I still say 08th MS teams is just as cheezy, yet people don't slam it.

> the whole Titans wiping out all
> knowledge of the Gundam development project was kinda toolie, and really,

Sidestorys by their very nature require that kind of thing.

> Kou is a pretty horrid character ... I only dislike the Wing boys more.

He's a dork, no doubt, but he was written as a dork. there aren't any glaring
inconsistancies in the way he's written that yell "I'm a badly written
character!"

> I, and a lot of other people, think of it as the Top Gun of Gundam. Weak
> story and lame characters for the express purpose of telling an actiony
> story.

There are plenty of likeable characters too... South burning and Captain Synapus
for example. yes it's an action oriented story, so what? Who says Gundam must
follow a strict formula in the way that it is presented? If that's the case they
definately should have stopped at CCA, (I know some will say Yeah!) There's no
point in rehashing the same thing over and over. Look at F-91(Strictly the
movie, I agree a series would have been pretty cool.) aside from the cool
animation it's really just MS Gundam all over with higher technology.

> Of the 3 OVA's that will be airing next year, my guess is the Wing
> kiddies are going to like 0083 the best,

I'm getting sick of this "Wing kiddies" shit. There are some of us older UC fans
who like wing. Just because you don't, don't insult us by saying all wing fans
are Toonami watching teenagers. And don't insult those kids either, Give them
credit that they will "get" Mobile Suit Gundam. I don't however Give Bandai much
credit...I fear more alterations to UC material like those made to the recent
"Gundam Battle Assault" game.

> vast majority of them not understanding 0080 (hell, I didn't "get it" the
> first time I saw it, after only being exposed to Wing fansubs and 0083 on
> VHS). But we shall see.

Ok... lets see here...... You got started out on Wing, but now you bash it. I
can't really say to much since I did the same thing with Robotech. Anyway, 0080
was my first Gundam, (damn near my first raw japanese anime) I saw it on the big
screen at AnimeCon 91, and I got it, I got it big time. It hooked me on Gundam
forever.

Bottom line: is 0083 Zeta calibur material? No. Does it have the wonderful
characters of MSG? No.
Is it an exceptionally well animated and entertaining show? Hell yeah! Is it
Gundam? yep.

---Brett "Feeling like a hypocrite, guess I'll have to bash robotech less"
Jensen