Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:40:05 -0800

Nicholas Paufler writes,

>As a followup to our earlier discussion on the GM and Gundam Groundtypes,
>I've got some questions and comments on the official landspeed spec's for
>the RX-78-2 Gundam and the RGM-79 GM.
>As I recall, it was 165km/h for the Gundam and 102km/h for the GM (give or
>take a few), owing largely to the superior generator in the Gundam. We also
>know the Gundam weighs 60.0 tons, vs the GM's 58.8 tons.

  I guess we shouldn't underestimate the benefits of the Gundam's extra
cooling systems, either (all that junk bolted onto the crotch and skirt
armor, originally added to compensate for the extra heat produced by its
upgraded generator). If it has enough extra cooling power to survive re-
entry, it should certainly be able to keep up a sprint for longer periods
of time, or use its thrusters for more frequent jumps.

>So have we ever SEEN a MS running at it's full ground speed? Either a GM, or
>a Gundam or some Zeon MS? I can't think of any occurences offhand, but I
>haven't seen First Gundam yet so one of you blessed folk who've seen it will
>have to comment. If we have (or if we haven't and you want to theorize),
>what did it look like while running?

  From what I recall in 0083, running mobile suits just kind of lope
along. For what it's worth, the detailed timelines and distance figures
provided for 0083's battles in Australia and East Africa indicate a
sustained jogging speed of roughly 50 km/hour - i.e. when Burning and Kou
are pursuing Gato across the Australian outback. This seems to be the
maximum practical speed for mobile suits jogging long distances,
regardless of the sprinting/jumping speed. Given that Doms and Xamels can
cruise at over 200 km/hour thanks to their hover systems, you can see why
they have such a huge advantage.

  In Turn A, on the other hand, you get all kinds of crazy and cool
running motions. One of the really neat things about Turn A is that the
animators came up with completely novel ideas for how the 'bots should
move, walk, and run. Depending on their size, you get a wide range of
running motions - the Turn A lopes along in a fairly humanoid fashion,
the giant WaDom takes long, slow strides with its tiny arms sticking out
behind it for balance, the little Kapool hops along with its arms
flailing wildly, and the tiny WaD moves its little legs so fast they
become a blur of motion. It's like Jurassic Park for mecha fans. :-)

-- Mark