-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:23:34 -0800

> ... What if Zeon won the OYW? What events could have turned the tide? What
> would have happened if the Feddie military was wiped out by Zeon forces?

Probably the same scenario we got in Z Gundam or Gundam ZZ, with the White Base
crew becoming the nucleus of an AEUG/Kalaba style resistance against the new
regime. Anaheim Electronics would've still been in the same position of selling
arms to both sides.

> ... What if Kou had succeeded in stopping Gato in time and the Solar System
> was able to blow up the colony?

No difference. Jamitov wins either way, the difference being that they've only
got an attempted colony drop and thus no actual food crisis to help cement their
position. The Axis Fleet still gets away to fight again another day (three or
four years later) and the Feds still bust Kou and Captain Synapse for
misapproprating the GP03, then sweep the whole Gundam Development Project under
the rug (dictated by continuity with Z and ZZ, not any rational plot
requirement, although one could make a case that they were covering up their
involvement with the nuclear GP02).

> ... What If Amuro Rei died when Zeon raided Side 7 trying to destroy the
> Gundam prototypes?

What if Luke Skywalker died with his "aunt" and "uncle" when the Stormtroopers
hit the farm? Sorry, but you need Amuro to have the Gundam story as we know it.
His dad designed the Gundam, he was a geek who knew about MS from his dat, and
he had both access to the Gundam manual and burgeoning Newtype capabilities. No
one else is qualified to pilot the Gundam if Amuro dies at this point.

> ... What If Christine in the NT-1 Alex managed to stop Bernie in the Kampfer
> without sustaining any serious damage, thus allowing the Alex to be sent to
> Amuro after all?

No difference. Zeon sues for peace just one week (1 Jan 0080) after Christina
and Bernie duke it out (25 Dec 0079). A'Bao'A'Ku falls on 31 Dec 0079 without
any help from anything that the NT-1 could've provided.

> ... What If the After Colony timeline was constrained by UC physics? How
> much of the story would need to have been changed? Would it still be
> recognizable as Wing?

It would be Gundam X, only with five Vulture/Friden Gundams, wouldn't it?

> ... What if the Turn A Gundam, rather than being the unique Syd Mead design
> it is, was instead another tired, boring, derivative Ookawara MS that had
> that "we've seen this before" atmosphere to it? Would the show have been
> more or less popular?

What if Turn A Gundam had used the mecha from Brain Powerd? Or Gasaraki?

The show's not about the mecha. Turn A could've be done without MS at all.

So could Gundam or any other Tomino show.

> ... What if Minovsky particles did not have the property of obstructing
> radar? Would MS development have started, and if it did, would it have
> evolved to the same end?

Without Minovsky particles, you have long-range battles with missiles a la
Macross. The only purpose in eliminating radar is to enable samurai-style melee
combat instead of modern jet fighter type combat.

> ... What if Amuro failed to stop the asteroid fragment from hitting the
> Earth in CCA, and Char's Ice Age did come about?

"Kill 'Em All!" Tomino might've preferred it that way. But that would've pretty
much ended the Gundam world, so no Hathaway's Flash, Gaia*Gear, F91, V Gundam or
G-Saviour -- nothing after UC 0093, because no Earth Federation or, for that
matter, Earth.

-Z-