Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:39:35 -0600

MS06ZAK@aol.com wrote:

> Like what? I have seen Robotech, but I have never been able to see the uncut original Macross. What are some of the diferences? I mena besides the whole Protoculture/Robotech Masters crap. Are there any websites that highlight the differences?
>
> Jason

Most of the continuity problems I was talking about in Robotech arise from changes that Harmony Gold made in order to make three unrelated series into one big story. actually of the three series Macross fared the best with most of it's story intact,
Mospeada didn't fair too bad, but Southern Cross was butchered. Another problem was the timeframe in which Robotech was produced, some episodes are virtual verbatum translations of macross, while others where more "creative". This led to some
confusion. For instance, what is Protoculture:

You see, the word Protoculture mentioned in passing in Macross, refers to The first sentient race of people in the universe, from whom the intersteller republic which created the Zentradi sprung. The Protoculture is NOT some Plant/energy source/drug/
whatever... as depicted in Robotech, yet it is referred to BOTH ways in Robotech due to sloppy continuity.

Hell, Southern Cross took place on another planet originally, and you can actually see a second moon in the sky in an episode of Robotech!

The original shows themselves obviously don't have this problem since they are self contained stories, although SC suffers from an abrupt ending after being cut short bo 26 episodes! (ouch)

There is also the matter of cut scenes, unnecessary name changes, and painfully bad singing. I would love to see a celebrity deathmatch where Mari Iijima kicks the crap out of Reba West for ruining the reputation of Lin Minmei. ^_^

I won't even mention what they did to my favorite OAV Megazone 23.....It's too awful to mention. sob, sob.

---Brett Jensen