Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
4 Dec 2000 22:58:35 -0000

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:48:44 +0100 (CET) donato zeno <sakoran@yahoo.it> wrote:
>In Italy we may read six books by F.Herbert but i've
>heard that after his death sequels have been written.
>May you give more details?
>
>=====
>DONATUS

Not sequals, prequals...like the ones written for Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Chronologically, these are set before Frank Herbert's original series.

The first of them was Dune: House Atreides, in which you find out about Duke Paulus Atreides, Leto's father, and his wife and his death, the origin of Duncan Idaho, Shaddam's rise to the throne, details on the Bene Gesserit breeding program and the birth of Jessica, the war between humanity and the AIs (artificial intelligences) that caused humanity to discard all efforts in creating intelligent machines, and some other factors in the escalation of the hostilities between House Harkonnen and House Atreides.

House Harkonnen is the next, but I haven't read it yet to know precisely what is in it...I'm guessing it bridges the time period between the end of House Atreides and the original Dune novel.

Roland (who found it quite interesting to find out that Dune, at least as in House Atreides, is supposed to be set in our universe, with costant mentioning of Earth)