Franz Co (ms_slasher@mail.com)
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 06:16:57 -0500 (EST)

------Original Message------
From: Lim Jyue <lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg>
To: gundam@aeug.org
Sent: December 3, 2000 3:30:17 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [gundam] One Year War notes

At 10:27 12/01/2000 -0800, Mark Simmons wrote:
>> Right afterwards, Zeon adopted the Joint Equipment Plan, >redesigning
>>their most succesful mobile suits to use standard parts for >ease of
>>production and maintenance. Only a few designs were adopted for >this
>>program - the Rick Dom, Gelgoog, Zaku, Z'Gok, and Hygog, from >which we
>>get their 0080 incarnations.

> Uh... The Zugok and Hygog were both experimental >designs, IIRC.
Were
>they part of the JEP?

The Zugock was experimental (ence the E which was also in the experimental
Kampfer and also used by the feds for the GM[E]). The Hygog was an upgrade
sort of like the Zaku II R-series.

> The idea behind JEP is sound, and is what many modern >military is
>trying to do, for example the NATO 7.62mm standard (despite the >fact that
>M16s are using 5.56mm..)

I think it's the opther way around, standard NTO ammo is 5.56 as seen in the
M16, SA-80(L8), Steyr Aug and other rifles (IIRC even the frickin AK-74 uses
5.56 rounds).

>> That's the official line, anyway. It's still a stupid >rationalization
>>for the 0080 designs - Zeon had already standardized its >mobile suits by
>>halting production of everything but the Gelgoog, and none of >the 0080
>>designs appear to have any parts in common (like, say, >joints). But there
>>you have it.

The Rick Dom II and the Zaku FZ have the same arms. IMHO the Zaku FZ was
another failed attempt to bring the Zaku II up to snuff (like the R-series)
under the JEP. Meanwhile the Gelgoog Jeager was an very high performance
variant that was brough under the JEP.

> Now that you mentioned it, it is pretty stupid, but >perhaps they
>weren't really standardizing everything, just the common parts. >Like,
>perhaps apogee motor designs, weapons and coolant connection >points,
>standardization of weapon bore (90mm etc, but the 110mm of the >Gelgoog JG
>throws things out the window).

As i pointed out the arms. Maybe they can come out with a whole Mg line of
these showing similar internal structure except where it matters (legs,
arms, head, and maybe part of the core).

> Actually, with just a casual exterior inspection, we >can't really
>tell if a specific joint actuator is the same as that on >another MS. So I
>guess it is possible to have 70%-80% common parts.

> Perhaps what they standardized is the reactor design; I >don't have
>the stats handy, so this is probably wrong. My idea is that Zeon
>standardized their reactor size, and simply fit more into high >power suits
>to compensate.

> Still, an Omni-Dom is a better idea than starting from >scratch.
>Simply adopt the Funf's specs for other MS, and you can swap >parts between
>MS easily. Strange that they simply abandoned the Funf line..

True. BTW, anyone hav pics etc. of the Funf? Ther'es no pic on Burkes site
(where I get most of my resources, great job Burke).

Shop through Barnes and Nobles
help me earn cash too.