Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:47:45 -0700

Okay, as a longtime anime music video conniseur (sp?), i'll give a little
constructive feedback.
1. The Top Gun theme is _The most_ overused song in anime music videos,
especially scifi/giant robot ones. That's immediately a knock against it,
because you feel its something you'd seen before.
2. There was some pretty good editing, switches, and fades throughout, but
there were an equal number of times where entire scenes were played out,
lending an atmosphere of just watching clips set to music.
3. A combination of the first two, the Top Gun theme just isn't dynamic
enough (i.e. relatively flat with few opportunities for timed scene changes)
to make the video look as though it's matching the music. It's done as best
as can be expected given the music, but......
4. Seeing subtitles in a music video is a definate no-no. Seeing 'em adds a
feeling of unprofessionalism. Of course, like all things there's a
corollary, and that being a video with Ping Pong Club footage set to Lords
of Acid's Young Boys, in which there's a scene with a guys pants dropping
and then subtitled "IT'S HUGE!" which fit perfectly with the music and theme
of the video. The rest of the video was subtitle clean though, it was only
there for effect.

Considering it's a first video it wasn't bad at all, but it didn't really
pack any emotional punch. If you're going to do a video with mecha combat or
other action sequences, you really need something fast and upbeat tht allows
for quick cuts. Being able to time you cuts successfuly really adds a huge
element to a video since it requires a lot more effort, and it usually
shows.
Keep on trying, and do let us know when you've got another one up.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler
"Hail Eris. All hail Discordia!"