Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
3 Dec 2000 02:40:26 -0000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 21:18:57 -0500 Chris Maier <oom9@crosswinds.net> wrote:
>One more point I should add-perhaps the other planets were contacted via
>hologram images(In both Empire and Phantom, there are certain long-distance
>hologram connections). Also, perhaps the Tatooine people were celebrating
>the death of Jabba.

The problem being that the Emperor made sure that his forces had a stranglehold on all Holonet communications. If a person is able to quickly and fairly freely communicate with anyone else in the galaxy, it doesn't allow for the tight grip and cotnrol that the Emperor wanted in his New Order. The desimination (sp?) of knowledge is one of the deathblows to tyranny and oppresion after all. Therefore, he dismantled all planetary holonets, and made sure that they were only left in the hands of his fleet and Imperial governors (or more to the point, Moffs and Grand Moffs).

And I doubt that the people on Tantooine were celebrating Jabba's death. While he might have been a tyrant, he also most likely provided many of the citizens on the planet with employment..with his death, and the death of most of his upper level people, Tantooine would most likely lose alot of its profit making ability.

Roland