Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
3 Dec 2000 01:58:50 -0000

On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 07:33:14 -0600 Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net> wrote:

>BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Since Tomino is involved with the US version of First Gundam,
>> there's
>> really no need to worry. Since he did create it and all.
>>
>> Aaron
>> "Believing a sign of Zeta"
>
>Tomino worship aside...^_^ That's not nessisarily true.
>
>It's kind of like "Star Wars: special edition", some people like the
>added stuff and some (Myself included) Don't.

I do have to admit that while I thought some of the additions in the original Ep4 A New Hope were pretty good (like adding back in the scenes between Han and Jabba and the scenes with Luke and Biggs, after all, they were originally to be in there anyways...even though Jabba was just a fat human at the time), he did add some stuff to it that wasn't neccessary....like Boba Fett at the meeting between Jabba and Han (you could tell he wasn't in the original footage). And of course, there is the one REALLY unforgiveable change in that movie....having Greedo shoot at Han first. Sorry, but that just ruined that whole scene. Han should have been the first, last and only one on the trigger in that scene. That was the way he was at that time.

As for the others, yeah, the changes made in them really didn't add all that much to them, and the final additions at the end of RotJ really didn't make that much sense...it would days, weeks or even months for the news of the Rebellion's victory at Endor to reach the parts of the galaxy it was shown to be known at...and they definately wouldn't have been celebrating on Imperial Center (Coruscant). The Empire definately wouldn't have broadcast its defeat, and the rebels would have had to carefully smuggle the tapes in. That alone would most likely take months in most of the areas.

>And I really resent George
>Lucas for not letting Myself and those like me purchase the Original
>movie that we grew up with, ever again.

While I can see his PoV, I can really sympathize with yours. I'm just glad I picked them up before the Special Editions ever came out.

But I don't really think there will be that much to worry about in the case of Gundam...I think it is mostly just going to be restored, with some 3D blurring (that thing the others were talking about...forget the name of the process at the moment) to bring it slightly more up to date.

Roland