Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
2 Dec 2000 20:43:14 -0000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 13:33:09 -0700 Echo|Fox <echofox@wingzero.net> wrote:

>> 1) I am Lyran. The Lyrans are portrayed as the bad guys in this.
>Therefore, I have no interest in getting the game.
>>
>Shrug. I wouldn't let it deter you in the slightest. The acting is so bad
>and the story is so weak at times that I found myself just skipping the
>briefings. The only thing I ever cared for was when my mech engineer would
>comment on a new chassis or weapon I picked up on the previous mission and
>gave suggestions. That was kinda cool.

Ah, but see, I hate shooter games unless they have a good story. That's one of the reasons I never bought any of the older Mechwarrior (and MechCommander) games, they had no good story (a friend would get them and I borrowed them). I bought Mechwarrior 3 before I previewed it, and found myself beating the blasted thing in 2 or 3 days. Total waste of money. The only shooter games I've found I like are the Tie Fighter games and Macross VFX. I utterly despise all the rest I've seen.

And sorry, just can't give up being Lyran that much. I'd be the same way if the bad guys were the Capellan Confederation or the Marian Hegemony, as I've also come to like those nations as well.

>My familiarity with the BattleTech universe is _very_ low. I know that there
>are the Clans and the Inner Sphere, and I know that they share some mech's
>between them (MadCat/TimberWolf, for one).

No, they don't. The Timber Wolf is a pure Clan 'Mech. It's just that they use so many that it is one of the most commonly captured ones. The IS was about a century or two behind the Clans tech wise when the invasion started and they are now about 10 to 25 years behind still.

>From talking to friends on IRC
>who were a bit more familiar, the strange mix of Clan and Inner Sphere
>mech's was quite offputting to them.
>Ultimately though, this is just a fun game. It's way more arcadey than MW2,
>but its got sweet, lag free multiplayer. Hardcore simulator fans will
>probably be pissed, but for just the pure pleasure of running around blowing
>shit up ... well this is a winner =)

I hate most arcade games too. And I need something more entertaining than just blowing things up.

>I would, but I'm not sure which mech's are new. Like I said, I don't have
>intimate knowledge of the universe. The only one I know for sure is new is
>the Madcat Mk.II (like a Madcat Mk.II, except its 90 tons and mounts
>ballistic weapons instead of beam weapons. It also can't use jumpjets,
>iirc). There should be fansites springing up with this info soon enough, now
>that its in stores.

Would it be possible to get a list of the 'Mechs in the game? I could ID the new ones....and I definately do not like the sound of that Mad Cat Mk II. That's just plain stupid.

Roland