Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:48:31 +0800

        Oh no! The thread that never dies! =)

At 09:42 11/30/2000 -0800, Mark Simmons wrote:
>However, during re-entry, the friction heat ionizes the air and the I-field
>_does_ repel it, which is why the Minovsky craft system doubles as a heat
>shield.

        Oh, that's interesting. At the same time, the I-field is "resting"
on the ionized air, which does reduce the velocity of the craft, so it aids
in both heat shield and reduction in speed.

>And yes, its effectiveness should be less when the air is more conductive,
>so the cruising altitude over water would probably be even lower.

        Hmm. Will it be effective at all? Assuming a minimum conductivity is
necessary, this could mean that non-ionized air will simply pass through the
I-field, and in effect, when a Minovsky Craft is over water, the craft is
resting on the water instead of any air.

        Same applies for land, which explains why most shots I've seen of
White Base ships are low over the land. But to gain height, the I-field
generators on these Minovsky Craft must be really working hard. To maintain
a magnetic bottling over that distance isn't easy, I think, and will consume
large amounts of power.

>Fortunately for the White Base, it has regular jet/rocket engines to cover the
>middle stretch, but I dunno how the thruster-less Apsaras is supposed to
manage.

        Well, maybe that's why the Apsaras III had those spiny legs -- comes
down, BIIIONG!

        (^_^)

> I don't think it's that fragile - presumably the same forces that lead
>free Minovsky particles to form the lattice will cause the remaining
>particles to reorganize themselves to fill the gap.

        No question that the field will repair itself, of course. What I was
interested in is why the MS is not pushed away from the I-field either. I
mean, the MS is made of conductive material, so I-field should push against
the MS. So the MS will need a minimum speed to penetrate the I-field.

        Argh. I'm too tired to think through the entire scenario right now,
so I'll do that later. Right now, a quick summary of what my questions are:

        1. Minovsky Craft rests on a cushion of Minovsky Particles. This in
turn rests on top of some conductive material, commonly a land mass or
water. Hence, SJ was right in his theory.

        Question: What happends when a Minovsky Craft gets too close to a
conductive material, say water? Will the water displace, or the I-field
compact? Since the relative speeds when a Minovsky Craft flies over water
can be rather high, will the I-field be breached, leading to a loss of lift
and subsequently a crash?

        2. It seems that a minimum conductivity of material is necessary
before an I-field cannot pass through the material.

        Question: Will this be instead related to particle mass of the
material? For example, air is relatively light compared to soil or water, so
is this a likely pre-requisite before the particle can pass through the I-field?

        Question: Does this minimum conductivity include air? We see the
White Base fly over land and water, but the I-field could be resting on the
land and water instead of the air, implying that air at any conductivity
short of ionization is insufficient to support a Minovsky Craft. This will
mean a definitely height restriction on how high a Minovsky Craft can fly,
which is already established.

        I'll add more when I think of it. =)