James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:29:47 -0800

Awesome- A turn-A discussion!

Mark writes-

> Hey, count me in too - albeit with a slight viewing lag due to time
>limitations. (They have almost the whole series at Japan Video by now,
>but I'm waaay behind in actually watching it...)

Where do you think I got to see it. Japan Video is incredible (though
they still need to get zeta and V gundam)

> >Turn-A as alt universe or U.C.? It's feeling very U.C. to me.
>
> I'd agree, but there are some aspects that tie into G Gundam as well.
>Pretty much the only nod to Wing and X is the use of drone mobile suits -
>third-party publications aren't sure whether these should be considered
>bit mobile suits or mobile dolls, though it's possible that there are
>some of each. (And at any rate, as of G-Saviour, there are now mobile
>dolls in the UC continuity as well...)

If the G gundam items weren't there, Turn-A is easily U.C. But I'm
not satisfied calling it a alternative universe. Your "Grand Unified
Gundam Theory" that you posted a few months ago, Mark, seems the best
to me.

> >Extended technologies of Turn-A. Such as the Flat's barrier system
> >which reflects beam and projectiles, in addition to functioning as a
> >weapon.
>
> The Flat's barrier is actually supposed to be sonic in nature - caused
>by the vibration of its limb plates. The Sumo and Turn A definitely rely
>on powerful I-field barriers, though - this is even discussed in the dialogue.

Sonic huh? That would mean it wouldn't work in space, then how would
the flat be able to survive reentry? I've noticed that the patterns
on the backs of the flat's arms and legs resemble the pattern on the
back of the turn A's shield. That's why I assumed they were similar
barriers.

> >Political and societal structures of the Moon Race--As well as their
>colonies.
>
> The Moonrace's cities don't really resemble the UC-era lunar cities,
>but it's been observed that the Winter Palace appears to be a remodeled
>Squid-class battleship from V Gundam. (And the Kairas Giri cannon is
>mentioned by name later in the series.) Taken together with the Ginganam
>family name of the Moonrace's military leaders, and there's a definite
>hint that the Moonrace society has its roots in the V Gundam era. (So
>maybe we should be looking at the V Gundam cast for the original identity
>of Corin Nander, eh? Breaking your neck in the final episode could lead
>to some lingering brain damage, heh heh... :-)

The moon race commoners seemed to live the same simple life as the
earthnoids, with wooden houses and open air markets, just a few more
high tech gadgets.

> >And just what is left in earth orbit?
>
> All the space colonies went bye-bye, it seems - converted into
>generation ships just like in that "Side Story of V Gundam" comic.
>There's still the Zakku Traiger, which bears an uncanny resemblance to
>the Heinlein novel cover illustration which was just ripped off by a
>British painter in a late-breaking art scandal...
>
> <http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,42796,00.html>

This painter seems to have made it his gimmick (style) it appropriate
(steal) other images for his work. But hey, in modern art, anything
goes. I could take my Gundam Fix book, tear out the pages, frame
them, and sell them off for thousands of dollars as my latest
masterpieces. All because I've recontextualized them by putting them
in an "art" context.

<snip>

> >Could a Zaku be preserved, buried for 2 thousand years, and why does
> >it look like the first gundam style Zaku and not the 08th style
> >that's been the standard zaku for many years?
>
> From what I've seen, most of the buried mecha are wrapped in protective
>nanoskin material to keep out damaging elements. This indicates that they
>were deliberately stashed for later use - perhaps, going out on a limb,
>to evade a disarmament edict like the one in Gundam Wing. (Though that
>one was ultimately successful, which probably explains why the AC era is
>the only one that left no relics behind for Turn A.)

Like those in Northern Ireland burying their guns just in case...

> As for the funky look of the Zaku - see in-joke comment above. Same
>reason the Kapool and Gallop were made extra-tiny. Quite possibly these
>are recreations built in a later era, like the statues in F91's mobile
>suit museum, F90's Oldsmobile Army hardware, and Z Gundam's replica
>Gelgoog. (This would also help explain how the Borjarnon can beat up
>Sumos and Cannon Irfutes.)

That's what I've been feeling as well. They must be replicas.
Otherwise the MS-5 wouldn't have lasted one sec. when it wrestled
with the turn-A. Plus it is common for replica warbirds like P-51
mustangs to be built at 3/4 or even 1/2 scale to give the common man
a taste of a WWII fighter plane.

> For what it's worth, there are enough little clues built into the mecha
>designs and their model numbers that you can pretty much identify which
>date back to which era of the Gundam saga. For example, the "NRS" prefix
>of the Gozzo's model number is a lot like the "NRX/NR/NRMA" prefixes used
>by Gundam X's New Federation, and the Gozzo actually has an identical
>cockpit to the Federation mobile suits from that series...
>
> >Is there a symbolic and/or genetic reason why Diana and Keil are identical?
>
> Not that I'm aware. Possibly Kihel is a descendant of Diana from one of
>her earlier visits to Earth...

Maybe it was part of a strategic clone seeding program and there are
actually hundreds of Diana clones on the earth ^_^

-James