Scott DiBerardino (sdiberar@student.umass.edu)
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:06:34 -0500

>>> Spelling: Gundam
>>> Japanese Pronounciation: Gandamu
>>> Possible English Pronounciation: Gundam (we already know this one)
>>
>> Dead right, I think.
>
> Ermm.... isn't it just, well, Gundam?
>
> I was sort of under the impression that there was a n/m sound in
> Japanese without a paired consonant. It's one character that does both,
> so why is there a MU on the end? Don't remember how it's said in the
> series, don't speak Japanese, so if I'm wrong feel free to ignore me :-)

In Japanese, 'n' (the velar nasal) is the only consonant that appears in a
syllable without a vowel. This 'n' is shifted to 'm' before labial
consonants (b, p, m) through place assimilation.

If the name of the show was ga-n-pa-mu, we'd actually have Gumpam. :)

--
-scott   \\   sdiberar@student.umass.edu