Adam Ingram (ingram@io.com)
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:34:54 -0800

Echo|Fox wrote:

> Mark posted his latest bit of artistic wizardy, his kickass take on the
> G-Savior (which I'm liking more and more as time goes on ... even moreso
> than the Turn A, the slightly odd design grows on you).
> Now both Mark's synopsis and Amuro's review at Gundam.com mention the
> "Illuminati" as the name of the resistance group fighting for the colonies
> against Earth.

illuminati \Il*lu`mi*na"ti\, n. pl. [L. illuminatus. See Illuminate, v.
t., and cf. Illuminee.] Literally, those who are enlightened;

1. Members of certain associations in Modern Europe, who combined to
promote social reforms, by which they expected to raise men and society
to perfection, esp. of one originated in 1776 by Adam Weishaupt,
professor of canon law at Ingolstadt, which spread rapidly for a time,
but ceased after a few years.

That kind of fits in with the whole Newtype idea. Just replace Adam
Weishaupt with Zeon Zum Daikun. Not knowing much about G-Savior, I'm not
sure how much the Newtype idea fits into the story.

This wouldn't be the first time the Illuminati has sown up in movies or
television. The Illuminati has also made recent appearances in Video
Games "Deus Ex", Movies "Little Witches" "Razor Blade Smile" and
television "Gargoyles animated series"

Hmm... Newtypes as Illuminati, has potential for a Gundam fanfic.

> Seeing as I've recently become Illuminated (Hail Eris! All Hail
> Discordia!) after reading the Illuminatus Trilogy, the Schrodinger's
> Cat Trilogy, and the Principia Discordia, I found this to be a quite
> interesting development.

If you liked those, here are some other books you might want to check
out.

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
The Illuminati Papers by Robert Anton Wilson
Masks of the Illuminati Robert Anton Wilson
Right Where You Are Sitting Now: Further Tales of the Illuminati Robert
Anton Wilson & Timothy Leary
Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Volume 1 Robert Anton
Wilson
Cosmic Trigger: Down to Earth, Vol. 2 by Robert Anton Wilson
Cosmic Trigger: My Life after Death, Vol. 3 by Robert Anton Wilson

And of course any of of the Steve Jackson Games Illuminati stuff makes
for good reading.
http://www.sjgames.com/illuminati/50awful.html

Adam Ingram
ingram@io.com