-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:53:07 -0800

One of Tomino's underlying premises is that all governments are inherently
corrupt, becoming an entity unto themselves that place their own interests ahead
of those of the people. Idealistic young men are always recruited to fight the
battles of self-serving old men. The true loss of innocence comes when one
gives up one's dreams and buys into the status quo.

One of the most brilliant things that Tomino ever did was to invert everything
from the original Gundam in the sequel, Z Gundam. At the end of the original
series, the good guys win, only to find in the sequel that everything for which
they fought has been subverted. And this happens on both sides -- Char/Quattro
is just as unhappy with Axis as Amuro and the White Base survivors are with the
Titans and for much the same reason.

Similar things happened in America, with the rise of McCarthyism after WW2 --
for awhile, it looked like we might become that which we most feared.

-Z-