Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:31:33 +0800 (SGT)

>It's just another bozo being a jerk and, if anything, you've fed his or her ego
>too much by dignifying it with a response. In future, ignore it.

Probably the right thing to do...I just have a runaway temper and couldn't
ignore it just there and then. Thanks for the advice - I'll try to follow it
in future.

>As to your question, what do I really think of you, I've learned that,
while you
>can infer a lot from someone's continued online presence, we all adopt persona
>of some sort when we write in a public forum. You rarely see the real person
>and should never judge by this outward appearance. Some poeple who come across
>as real jerks will, when the chips are down, turn out to be your true friends
>who come through for you, while some who come across as reasonable and
>thoughtful will turn out to be nothing but words without deeds to back them up.

Well said. I've also found much the same thing.

>The only trait that I've seen you display that might put others off is that you
>appear to enjoy argument and debate for its own sake, to the point where you
>don't seem interested in arriving at any final conclusion or determination. I,
>personally, want discussions to go somewhere or do something. While getting
>there is half the fun, I want to get there, not just travel on and on,
marveling
>at the scenery. When an issue is raised, I expect it to be resolved at some
>point.

You hit the nail on the head. ^_^ I guess that's one more difference that
the GML has when compared to the EVA ML...there, people were more willing to
discuss just for the fun of it. I'm not saying that it's good or bad or
anything, but I happen to enjoy arguing like that. In future, though, I will
keep in mind the more "object-oriented" slant of this ML.

>Also, it's more important to discover the truth, and willing to accept it when
>it's found, than it is to be right.

True, but so far no one has managed to convince me that their view is the
truth, except maybe on one or two topics.

>On the plus side, being attacked in a public forum is a compliment of
sorts. It
>says that you must have made a sufficient impression on someone, somewhere,
some
>time.

That's a positive way of looking at things. ^_^

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)