Chaos025@aol.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:07:51 EST

In a message dated 11/21/00 3:28:50 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
gbelmont@hotmail.com writes:

> But I don't know squat about those second to last
> two. Please, educate the savage ^_^ If anything,
> I heard those Energizer E^2's are pretty powerful...

Homo-polar generator is fly wheel set into motion as a means of storing
energy. It takes energy to get it started, and it takes energy to slow it
down. By setting off a chemical rocket motor or two to get the fly wheel
going, you can then tap its stored energy by connecting the spinning wheel to
a generator. The resistance of the generator slows the wheel down, but the
wheels momentum will transfer through its axle is rotational power. The
Russians use these in place of large capacitors in some industrial plants.

Accumulators are capacitors that rapidly charge up and slowly discharge at a
set rate, or they slowly charge up and rapidly discharge their entire stored
charge in the least amount of time possible. In either case, you get the
ability to store and deliver power at rates and quantities too fast to be
used in normal applications.

Magneto-Hydrodynamic (MHD) Generators simply use liquid to flow throw
inductive coils, producing an electric current. The Israelis are using these
to supplement their nuclear plants. Their version is using mercury, which is
heated to force it up and cooled as it passes through the pick up array on
its way down. The Russians use water. In the fictional BattleTech universe,
they use hydrogen plasma and call it a fusion reactor.

Tesla broadcast power system is exactly what we use today for radio, TV,
cellular, and satellite broadcasting. The idea, though, is to use a much
stronger broadcast, and to use the received signal as a power source.

Desil-Electric, Petrol-Electric, and Gas-Electric are all names for hybrid
internal combustion-electric motors. And yes, trains use them, ships use
them, and now cars are starting to use them.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells are actually more fuel efficient than any other type of
power source. The only problem is cost. At $100 per watt, dirt power is more
economic.

The miniature fission piles are actually extremely small nuclear water
heaters. They are the size of five gallon drums, and only produce enough heat
to flash water to a nice even boil. But that is more than enough to generate
a lot of power. And of course, compact fission piles are used on virtually
every military submarine currently in use.

SJ

EXO Mechanical Editor & Mecha Designer
http://www.exo-armor.com