Chaos025@aol.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:41:32 EST

In a message dated 11/20/00 2:46:11 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
scorpio@best.com writes:

> Ah, and that's where I'd differ. As far as I can tell,
> the stock GM is far more specialized for close-
> range combat. (It could presumably carry a hyper
> bazooka, if not a beam rifle, but you never see this
> in the animation ... at least not until 0083, whose
> GM Kai is presumably more well-rounded than the
> One Year War version.)

You are correct, this is where we disagree. I fair as I can tell, a "stock"
GM is a semi-monocoque frame that is space adapted and has a standard sensor
package and one cockpit. It has an upgradable generator, upgradable armor,
upgradable weapons, and upgradable thrusters.

> Right. It's just a question of electrical output. Like
> the original version of the Gundam, before it was
> upgraded to match the beam rifle's requirements,
> the GM simply doesn't have enough juice.

No, it has to be something else, 130 kW is too small a difference. The only
way this small of a difference matters is if the beam rifle needs 1800 kW,
and 1700 kW just isn't enough. Which may very well be the case, but ignores
that "low" power requirement of an E-cap system.

> Don't obsess over the specs. The GM's inability to
> use a beam rifle has been amply documented, and
> I'd say this fact is more significant than the accepted
> specs. (Likewise, Z Gundam's Hambrabi is clearly a
> fast mobilesuit, regardless of its pitiful thrust specs.)

Its not an obsession, just a quirky question. Being an electric systems
engineer and anime fan, I do understand were reality falls of and the story
takes up the slack. But since the world of Gundam is reverse engineered from
the animation and the creator's design notes ... open speculation and
rationalization are the glue that binds the Gundam universe together.

> If you want to special-order it, I can provide
> the publisher & ISBN info...

Yes, please, I would like that very much. :)

> Hm... well, if you don't accept different versions as
> being different mobile suits, then it's hard to pin any
> mobile suit down to a specific role.

I don't except add-ons to a base a frame as enough of a difference to
reclassify the base platform as an entirely different machine, all together.

Example: We have a basic frame called an Eclipse. This frame is inherently
upgradable, but too expensive to mass-produce, so we drop off all the
expensive perks, streamline the construction, shave off some weight, and we
get an Eclipse Star! Now, our customer really wants this particular upgrade
on their machine, so we build up a basic Eclipse frame as an Eclipse
Star/IBG. Then, a whole new niche market opens up, require a higher
performance machine. We then modify the basic frame, and install some of the
perks originally removed, and we get an Eclipse MkII. Now, we think we are on
top of the world, so we go ahead and develop two new prototypes, the Solaris
and the Primus, and based of an upgrade version of the standard Eclipse
frame. Both perform beautifully, but a still very problematic and difficult
to reproduce. So we see what the market will except as a minimum, drop the
high-end Primus, keep the slightly lower-end Solaris, and rename it the
Eclipse MkIV (there can never be a MkIII, as odd numbers are taboo).

Now, to brake down this example, there is the Eclipse, Eclipse Star, Eclipse
IBG, Eclipse MkII, Solaris, Primus, and Eclipse MkIV. The only thing the
Eclipse MkIV has in common was the original Eclipse is its shape and
configuration, but it is still an Eclipse, and it is still recognizable as an
Eclipse.

Now, to brake it down further, the original Eclipse was offered in only a few
different configurations, with a base model and several separate upgrades
that could be added for the role a specific unit was to play for its buyer.
When the Eclipse Star (normally just referred to as a Star) is available,
can't do quite as much as the original, but not only offers the same
upgrades, the Star can actually be reconfigure into a great verity of roles.
With the MkII, we see the addition a higher-end perks to a standard Star,
allowing for additional roles to be filled, while actually replacing the Star
as the standard unit manufactured. The Solaris and Primus project was really
a dead-end, as the resulting MkIV is physically a Solaris, but with
downgraded systems that make it more reliable and mass producible.

And that is how I see the Gundam to GM to Gundam relationship in Gundam.

SJ

EXO Mechanical Editor & Mecha Designer
http://www.exo-armor.com