Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:57:16 -0700

> Since the time of the Romans, armies have put a premium on standardization
of
> equipment among its members. Only the highest ranks or most elite forces
are
> allowed the luxury of personalized or nonstandard issue gear. In addition
> maintenance issues, there's also training and readiness -- one of the
reasons
> for inspections is to ensure that everyone is in compliance with the given
> standards and that the equipment is in good working order.

How does this fit into the Kojima Batallion? Or even modern day warfare? I
understand that, historically, that's true, but ... I dunno, I don't see the
USAF letting their ace pilots customize their F-15's. It's a different
question in UC0079 though ... was Shiro's squad (and the other Gundam
equipped squads) that much better than the others? They certainly weren't
higher ranked. How did they decide who got Gundams and who got GM's?

> Out in the field, you need ti be able to exchange and interchange
equipment on
> the run. Many of our "buddy care" and first aid techniques are based on
> everyone having the same gear and being able to combine certain
elements -- two
> fatigue jackets buttoned together and supported by two tent poles become a
field
> litter, two soldiers combine their shelter halves to make one shelter,
etc. --
> and, of course, everyone can swap ammo among their weapons.

Hmmm...
Mark agreed with me that there isn't a lot that can be done outside of the
Kojima Battallions base in terms of repairs. As for weapons, they're
essentially standard between the GM and Gundam ground types, so there's
nothing from stopping a GM from tossing an ammo pack to a Gundam, so this
argument seems kind of moot to me.

> When I was in the Air Force, I rarely saw mixed formations -- usually,
they only
> occured during joint operations of two or more different services or
national
> force, such as the Team Spirit exercise mentioned in a previous post.
>
> You alluded to one good reason for homogenous flights in your own earlier
> post -- everyone has the same capabilities, especially in terms of weight
and
> balance and range and fuel reserves, so everyone should be able to perform
the
> same maneuvers in unison with having to calculate these critical factors
in
> mid-mission. The commander knows the capabilities of his subordinates
down to
> the last decimal place and can even infer their current status as an
> extrapolation of his or her own and is this less likely to exceed over
overtax
> them in the heat of combat. It also makes it easier to recalculate a
given
> aircraft's remaining resources should it be forced into breaking with the
others
> and the mission profile and ending up in a different situation from the
rest.

Ahh you phrased it so much better than I did. This was essentially what I
was trying to get at with my mathematical explanation for the uniform squad
assignments. Mark's followup that the Gundam supposedly has a 60% faster
land speed only reinforces this. This has got to be the explanation, since
its the only one you can't really shoot holes in. Even disregarding
variances in pilotting ability, the squad commander does need to know
exactly what his squad is capable of, and it would be a real hindrance to
have a variance in basic abilities. Even if the entire squad is slightly
weaker, not having to worry about basic performance differences would be one
less problem for the commander.
It's kinda depressing when you think about it though. Here we are coming up
with a logical explanation for it, but really, it was just so Bandai could
sell a few more models ;p Then again, that's pretty much life, isn't it? :P

> -Z-

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler