Chaos025@aol.com
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:10:13 EST

In a message dated 11/18/00 2:58:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
edf91@worldnet.att.net writes:

> There are a few things in play here:
>
> 1) Amuro is just playing the "role" of his team of
> MS. Out of the three MS, only Gundam has the
> agility and the weapons for close range combat.

Actually, the Gundam is the close combatant of the Gun team, with the
Guncannon filling the long range roll. The Gundam mounts less armor than the
Guncannon, and has (in general) shorter ranges weapons, but is also faster
and more agile. The Gundam had beam sabers the Guncannon didn't, but both
carried beam rifles for medium range use. The both mounted 60 mm Vulcan
cannons in the their heads, and they both had the Core Block System. The
Guncannon could use the same shield as the Gundam (if the pilot deemed it
necessary), but couldn't support beam sabers. The bazooka was an anti-MS
weapon, and was used by the Gundam because the Gundam was intended as an
escort for the Guncannon, which was intended for anti-ship.

The GM, on the other hand, was used for both roles, with he close
combat/anti-MS role used first, then the long range/anti-ship roll later with
the GM Sniper configuration and GM Cannon variant.

> 2) Just because Amuro doesn't do long range
> support role in the anime doesn't mean the
> Gundam itself cannot do what GM does.

Of course the Gundam can do everything a GM can do, even more so and better
than a GM can. In the Japanese fashion, the Gundam and Guncannon prototypes
were built with every possible option imaginable, while the mass produced GM
was built was with only the options that were know to be useful all the time.
Also, the GM frame became a standard for MS construction with the Federation,
as it was the most basic and general design based on the knowledge gained
from the Gundam and Guncannon prototypes.

> 3) The "specialization" Tomino is talking about is the
> type of terrain the Gundam can be used it and how
> effective it can be in each terrain.

GM's are used in every environment the Gundam could be used in. Environmental
upgrades were introduced to the GM's used for long periods in these
environments, most likely based on knowledge gained from adapting the Gundam
and Guncannon to these environments.

> 4) Another factor is the pilot factor -- it's much safer
> to stay away and shoot from a distance than try to
> attack Zion pilots, who had much more experience
> in using a MS than the average Fed pilots.

The Federation still relied on their ships as their major fighting force, so
the mass production of close combat/anti-MS suits was needed to counter the
Zion suits. As the ship were filling the long range combat roll for these
major battles, GM's configured for close combat/anti-MS duties were rushed to
the front of these battles. Where ships were not used, we saw GM Sniper and
GM Cannon variants replacing the limited run of mass produced Guncannons.

> As you can see from other Gundam series (except
> maybe the "side stories" like 0083 or 08 MS Team,
> where the Gundam is specialized for a specific terrain
> or purpose), all the Gundams can pretty much be used
> in all terrain's and do a lot of things, things that almost
> all mass-production type MS cannot do.

We only see the Gundams in the roles they are prepped for, not the
preparation done before hand. That is, until the side stories like 08MST,
0080, and 0083. In these, we see the preparations that would have gone on in
the original series, Zeta and ZZ, and in CCA, if those scenes had been needed
to move the story along. As it was, the time that would be normally be used
to fix, maintain, upgrade, and modify the Gundams was not needed, so
therefore was not shown.

Any examples of the pilots using the machines to do fabulous things is just
that, the pilots use, not the machines. The machines are performing as they
were designed and prepared to do.

SJ

EXO Mechanical Editor & Mecha Designer
http://www.exo-armor.com