Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:00:00 -0800

--

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:10:04 Edmund Chiu wrote: > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Chaos025@aol.com > To: gundam@aeug.org > Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 1:54 PM > Subject: [gundam] Newtypes > > > In a message dated 11/17/00 1:02:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time, > gaijin@i-manila.com.ph writes: > > > > > While most people follow Zeon Zum Daikun's thought that a New Type of > humanity will be born from the transition from land to space, just humanity > once transitioned from the seas to land, it is generally assumed that > Newtypes will be found among those born in space. But we see the crew of the > White Base become Newtypes as they fight the forces of Zion in both space and > on the Earth. Amuro himself was born on Earth, and relocated to space with > his father.

As illustrated Newtype ability is not a function of where one is born. The Newtype according to Zeon Daikun is man's next evlution and it was triggered by the stimulus of a new environment in which man had to adapt(in this case space).

> With Char a Newtype, on his own? Or did he become a Newtype through his > connection with Amuro and Lala Sun?

During the One Year War, the concept of Newtypes was little more than a myth. The Zeons used it in their tactics to "scare" the FEds. But this same concept was something that Zeon daikun fervently believed in, something Char believes in as well. Given the assumption that Newtypes exist (which in this case is true) and Char was one of them, he didn't need anything more to trigger his abilities because he believed in it.