Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:55:05 +0800 (SGT)

>>How about a "burst" reactor, which produces a massive amount of
>>electromagnetism and Minovsky particles at one shot? I'm not as familiar
>>with the technical side of things, so I'm not sure whether it would be
>>possible, but it's a thought.
>
> Sure, you can do it, but this would be closer to a bomb than a
>reactor. More likely, the user would redline a reactor by demanding more
>output from it, hence telling the reactor to use more fuel to get more
>reactions, in order to get more Minovsky particles.

This reactor is intended to power my beam harpoon, which would puncture the
I-Field of a warship, remember?

>>How about using some kind of gravitational acceleration, or adding different
>>particles (mesons and such) to increase power?
>
> No mention of any gravity wave technology in UC AFAIK, so I think we
>can rule out a gravitronic accelerator. As for adding other particles... I

Yes, but you're talking later UC science, so someone might invent one.

>don't know. The way Minovsky particles are fused into mega-particles pretty
>much eliminated the possibility of adding other particles to the mix.

Are you sure? ^_^

>>Have you ever played Blood of Jion/Giren's Greed? The balance and power of
>>the mobile suits is almost exactly what you might expect from actually
>>fighting in the OYW...
>
> No, I haven't played it, but I guess this game only covers the OYW
>period? In this period, we have been more or less certain which MS is more
>powerful than the other. In fact, as long as the MSes are within one series,
>we can pretty much peg its performance relative within the series.

Nope, it goes farther, into 0083, the Zeta and a bit of double Zeta periods.

> The problem comes when we try to compare MS over multiple series,
>because we tend to lose our frame of reference. In the immediate OYW period,
>it was easier because we tend to use Zaku IIs as a baseline measure.
>However, even this comparison breaks down when we try to apply this to 0080,
>because the specs are overpowered there. Later shows like CCA, with no
>baseline to measure from -- IIRC, almost all MS in that show are new -- it's
>not certain how much more powerful the MS in there are. Same applies for F91.
>
> The other point here is that we are talking about the power of a
>mega-particle weapon here, not the abilities of MSes. In games, most would
>lump the weapons and specs of a MS into stats -- i.e., if a unit has high
>thrust and has a beam weapons, its offensive stats would be higher than a
>unit without, such as Gelgoog vs. Zaku. Hence, there are other factors
>involved when game stats are created, not just whether their beam weapons
>are more powerful or not.

Okay, you're correct about the mobile suits (mostly) but this argument is
about beam weapons...and I'm certain they increase in power.

> I'm not too sure how you would get mega-particles of a different
>speed. There's definitely a lower bound to the speed of mega-particles, but
>I'm not too sure how you would go about increasing that speed. More energy
>applied over a smaller time period when compressing the I-field comes to
>mind, but I can't be sure.

Neither can I, though it sounds like a likely plan...

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)